What's new

Mars into Hamilton

Wayne J

Reaction score
I am finally going to replace my Hamilton validator with the Mars setup. Do I buy the parts from Hamilton or somewhere else? I read good things about Etowah Valley. Does the nose of the Mars protrude the same distance out of the front of the cabinet as the XE and is it in the same vertical location? I ask this question because I have a 1/4" thick steel plate in front of the validator with a narrow slot milled in it for bills to pass through too keep someone from using a crowbar to destroy the validator again. I can remove the plate and reweld it if necessary. Will I need access to the front of the cabinet for the conversion?
Thanks,
Wayne

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
With the EVE conversion the validator nose does not protrude through the front at all. It is flush with the plate that comes with the conversion kit, which has a slot about 3/8" tall. It is not actually attatched to the outer plate so I would think that there would be a very good chance you could still use your plate. Also, if you can utilize your plate you will not need access from the front.

Randy

Reaction score
Wayne, I’ve done a number of there conversions. What model changer do you have and what version controller is in the changer. Most of the conversion kits I’ve worked with the validator bezel is a little lower than the Hamilton validator bezel. I think you might have remove the plate you welded to the front of your changer. As far as the validator sticking out the front of the changer there is an adjustment to move the validator in and out. For lower cost alternative you might want to consider a Pyramid validator. They install about the same way. The new Pyramid Aqua is water resistant and they don’t require the cycle inhibit relay adapter harness. The Coinco Vantage also shows a lot of promise.

MEP001

Reaction score
You probably won't need your steel plate at all. The Etowah Valley kit comes with a thick stainless bezel that not only looks nice, it protects the validator. Installation is very simple - if what I've been told is correct, the Hamiltom kit comes with an upstacker Mars that requires a hole cut in the changer. Water in the changers has been a non-issue for us, even in the auto-cashier which has no sort of rain shield at all.

vinh

Reaction score
I have a DRS changer with EV mars conversion that I am thrill about (bought machine from Pat H). Never gave me any trouble. I so please that I bought a conversion on ebay this weekend for a RNS changer that I also bought on ebay. Ebay is the best way to save money especially during this trying times.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370308262086&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170422581783&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Now I need to find a bezel kit. anyone know where I can get one cheap.

Wayne J

Reaction score
Randy,
The changer is the ER60 and I'm pretty sure the controller is a c2000. I purchased the changer in the spring of 2000. I think I will go with the tried and true Mars.

Randy

Reaction score
Wayne,
That's a good choice. You might have to change the software in the controller to make it work right, it's not a big deal. You want to have a v1.9 or higher software in the C-2000 controller.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you order the appropriate kit from Etowah Valley it will come with the chip for the C-2000. It's not at all difficult to change.

Wayne J

Reaction score
I spoke with Etowah Valley today. I checked this afternoon and found out I have Version 1.9. I plan to order tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help. I will report back when the installation is complete.

Randy

Reaction score
Wayne,
It’s a piece of cake. The only thing you need to remember is to plug in the Stacker Bypass plug into the end of the Stacker Harness, this is the plug with the Purple wire on it that is cable tied about 6 inches from the end of the plug that plugs into the Stacker.
A word of caution. Should you ever have to remove the black plug that plugs into the validator pay close attention to the direction that the plug plugs into the validator! The Green wire on the plug goes towards the head of the validator. It can be plugged in the backwards and when this happens it will go poof and the smoke in the validator will come out and it will cost about $115 plus to get it repaired, I repaired one for someone here on the forum that did that.

Kool Wash

Reaction score
mars conversion

Hello, my first post. I just recently bought a new ss wash. This forum has helped me so much and I thank all on here with the knowledge and experience, and hope that I can also one day know a smidge of what some of you guys know.

Heres my dilemma, I have 2 Hamiltons, XE I believe, and Im getting strung every week since Ive owned the thing (2 months). The previous owner tells me that they can try but will lose their money if I keep the stacker off. His reasoning is that when the money clears the wheels there is no way one can pull it back out. He has done this for the last 9 years. Sometimes I come in and find a 5bill scrunched up inside the validator, so im thinking he is right that they cant do it without the stacker. Well the other day I come in and my box has no bills and the hopper is half empty. The light is blinking a 1.7 code, I think its the back sensor code, so now Im convinced that it is possible and that he and I are paying for this bastards meth habit.

Question. Does the Mars conversion eliminate this crap completely or have they found ways to get that one too? Is it simple to convert? Any drilling or does it fit as is? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
The best thing you can do right away is to put your changer on a timer so it’s turned off at night and turn off the $10 and $20 validator acceptance if you haven’t already done so. There isn’t a validator made that is 100% string proof, they like to believe that they can’t be strung but they can. Some are easier than the others. There are a number of conversion kits available to install an after market validator into your changer. Most of them are a simple plug and play bolt in units. You do have a few choices as to which validator you can use, Pyramid, Coinco Vantage and Mars.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
Kool Wash

Have you considered switching to tokens? I had a stringing problem and solved it by eliminating the quarters and dispensing tokens through the changers. I haven’t had a single token stolen in 10 years.

MEP001

Reaction score
Kool Wash said:
Does the Mars conversion eliminate this crap completely or have they found ways to get that one too?
I'm sure no validator is completely string-proof, but I have yet to hear of a confirmed case of a Mars being strung (Twice someone came here and posted they were strung with a Mars, but they were both unknown and never provided any follow-up info when asked). We changed out XE's when we were getting strung and it stopped them cold.

Kool Wash said:
Is it simple to convert? Any drilling or does it fit as is?
The Etowah Valley kit is bolt-in and very easy to do. The Hamilton conversion costs more and requires cutting a hole to relocate the opening - the reason is to use an "upstacker" validator to prevent water from getting into the electronics, but unless someone can reach it with a bay hose it's not really an issue.

Kool Wash

Reaction score
unreal. he got me again tonight for $12. arlington tx. seems like this scum has made an institution on my now new car wash. God help him when I catch him.

Wayne J

Reaction score
Kool Wash

Your stringer is using a 1 dollar bill?

I ordered the kit From Etowah Valley. They were out of validators. Should get some on Monday. If all goes as planned I will do the install Friday.

Wayne

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I know I sound like a broken record, but why in gods name don't people put on changer monitors? For about $200 you can install one of these. Once the siren sounds they leave and don't come back. There is no good reason to not have one of them since it costs much less than a hopper full of coins.

Randy

Reaction score
In the interim put a TIMER on your changer to turn it off at night. Say from 8 pm to 8 am.

Kool Wash

Reaction score
hes using a $5 and a $1 to follow. my device has some program on it that shuts off the validator if 3 $5 bills go in consecutively. he gets some coins but then he screws up and jams the $5 and I find it scrunched up in the validator. i shut off the $5 dipswitch and will install the timer on today. thanks for all the replies and i will keep you guys posted on this situation.