What's new

Mark vii JetWash- 10 Position Rotary Switch Out, Can I use Generic?

CarWashBoss

Reaction score
Hi All,
First time poster here.
I own a wash with a Mark VII JetWash self serve system. My dial switch to change between functions has gone out. My initial research shows that the Mark VII 10 Position Rotary Switch is PRICEY ($600+)-- GASP. My tech is saying I really need the brand name one, but I'm wondering if I can get away with a generic 10 position switch off KleenRite. Those are under $100.
Anyone dealt with this? Is the additional wiring that would come with going generic complicated (or worth it)?
I welcome any input.
Thx.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My original equipment was Mark VII and about 60 years old! After buying the wash 13 years ago, I had one of the Mark VII proprietary rotary switches left in one of the bays and it finally went bad shortly after buying the wash. All the others had been converted to 8 position Electroswitches so its what I've used ever since. You shuld have no issues with the 10 position rotary off KR....I would stick with Electroswitch, I know they are made so the contacts for soap rinse and wax are all make before break contacts to avoid all the stopping and starting of the HP pump. At least thats how my 8 position rotary's are...You'll have to do some investigating, I forget which terminals the make-before-break contacts are...I'm sure someone else will chime in!

CarWashBoss

Reaction score
Thanks so much. Very helpful.

I ended up finding out the mark vii switch is $267, so I ordered 2 (one for the this time & a back up) last night to help me get up and running fast. But beyond that, I'd obviously prefer the cheaper part off KR. So, your answer is extremely helpful. When I get there, I'll def go Electroswitch and keep eye on which terminals are the make-before-break contacts.

Is that type of change something you'd hire an electrician for, or is it simple enough that my manager (who is mechanically handy but electrically hesitant) should be able to handle? Doesn't sound overly complicated to me.

Thx again.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Mark VII color codes all the wiring to correspond between the terminial strips inside the meter boxes and panels inside the equipment room. You can go to Kleen Rite and in the help files you can download a wiring diagram like the 8 position one linked below....Its pretty self explanetory and not overly complicated...

8 position rotary switch wiring

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
A good video to help with wiring a rotary, Tom's Way (RIP) from KR:

Tom's Way Rotary Wiring 101

You might also do a search here on "rotary seal"....If you add a shaft seal like the one pictured, you probably won't ever have to change a rotary again. Water infiltration is the killer of these switches. Also, there has been lots of discussion on here which switch lasts the longest, Shalco or Electroswitch....Doesn't hurt to do some "Searching" to see why one might be better than the other? FWIW I use Electroswitch...

CarWashBoss

Reaction score
Amazing. Yes, realizing YouTube is a super helpful resource with these types of installation videos.

Also-- good tip on the seal to keep the water out. Makes complete sense that water is causing all the problems with the switches.

We got up and running yesterday with the new switch. But I'm going to look into adding the seal.

Thanks again!!!