What's new

Mandatory Mask Ordinances (How Will You React As a Business Owner?)

Carl

Reaction score
So I just read that our local city department of health has nearly convinced our city council to pass a "Mandatory Mask Ordinance". Reason being...they think mask-wearing is so efficacious that by imposing this on its citizenry we will spare so many from contracting COVID-19 I guess? :rolleyes:We aren't given the details of this "spike in COVID-19" we are just to trust that these people know best but anyhow...enough of that. I feel as a business owner I have no right to "police" my customers as to whether they are wearing a mask or not. (I have a dog wash room & I can't imagine telling a customer seeking my business services & then telling them they can't patronize us because they don't want to wear a mask!) From what I understand, we are not to provide services to customers who are not wearing a mask? Is that how mask ordinances work not having read what may be coming down the pike yet since this is still just rumored to be coming soon?

If so, I almost feel like shutting down my business again as I was forced to do 39 days because my business was deemed "non-essential" because for example...my security cameras late night right now show that my teenaged customers who love my car wash are all at the wash happily washing away none wearing a mask and so I am going to be expected to police them and kick them out if they don't have a face mask on if this ordinance is hoisted upon us?

I don't want to lose the revenue if I shut myself down but I'm the type of person who when an ordinance is put forth; I will comply 100% but since I don't agree w/ this one, is that my only option...shut myself down? (during the 39 days lockdown I kept 100% closed whereas many SSCW in town bucked the Order & stayed open...I followed the spirit of the Order and stayed closed but if in a few days the City says we are under a Mandatory Mask Ordinance, I sure will be against that so I wonder...how will you guys react if similar happens to you? I'm guessing the duration of it will be from 2 weeks to a month.

Thanks in advance for your input & hope you all are doing alright! (y)~ Carl

MEP001

Reaction score
What I posted:

Per Order of the Mayor:

FACE MASKS REQUIRED WHILE ON THE PREMISES

All employees and visitors must wear face coverings while on the premises, except:
When alone or with members of their household in a car wash bay,
When maintaining a consistent separation of six feet or more

washnshine

Reaction score
I like the signage idea. Also - if customers are alone in the bay, which is probably a pretty good chunk of self serve users, probably no need to enforce. If other people wearing masks keeps ME from getting it, I’m all for it and will participate as well. Bit I think distance is the key here and what you want to be clear on.

Carl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The signage idea is really good. My worry would be myself or my employees directly addressing a non-compliant customer to the ordinance and then them "losing it" and making a scene or yelling or just going crazy. The signage won't "trigger them" as much as being told by someone that they "have to do such-and-such". Great solution! (y)

Eric H

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with what type of wash you operate and how often you have employees onsite. If you are a SS and IBA site you are a vending machine business. Is the city going to mandate that customers wear a mask while using a soda machine? Does the soda vending company have to enforce this ordinance?
Put up signs and don't worry much about it until the EVIL code enforcement officer comes knocking on your door.

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve been mandated by the state to wear masks. We are conducting business as usual, no masks. We are outside, we are not within 6’ of anyone so we aren’t wearing masks and we usually gone by the time any customers come in. I think the mask thing is getting a little over blown. I have to laugh when I see people driving on the freeway wearing a mask.

cheesetrap

Reaction score
We do have a sign now but the challenge is if customers would complain if they are not wearing one.

srr5008

Reaction score
Our customers don't read any of our other signs, so I think we'll skip the additional signage. We don't wear masks, and neither do 99% of our customers. I (personally) think it's silly to require/wear them in a carwash environment.

MEP001

Reaction score
The majority of mine are wearing masks, mainly when they first show up and get change, but they're usually off by the time they're in a bay washing. I put the one sign on the door by the changer more to cover myself than anything else. It's just a printed sheet of paper laminated with clear packing tape.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I have no signs up,1 sanitizer station next to changer that has the same cartridge since march. A mandate from the governor is not a law and not enforceable. Bar across the street,health Nazis came in told owner to ask people to leave. She told them that was their job, they left. Sheriff and police chief are not going to arrest anybody.

soapy

Reaction score
Our county just went to a mask ordinance. I personally am not a fan of the mask but a lot of business were shut down for too long. If I wear a mask and it helps businesses stay open I will wear a mask to help them more than anything else.

Roz

Reaction score
Recent story (on NPR) about 2 hair cutters who tested positive for CV19, cut hair for over 130 people between testing and the positive results. Not one customer tested positive for CV. Working theory is that since all customers and the two hair cutters wore masks the entire time no one caught CV19. Masks (used properly) seem to be the best protection, besides distance and Purell.

Masks will keep the economy open more and longer if done on a HUGE scale....

Wash4Life

Reaction score
Unless an ordinance is cost-prohibitive, I would not shut down. I believe there are people who want to destroy small business, and as long as I can remain open, I am going to do so to fight back.