What's new

Manager-Turned-Operator Looking For Advice

J.Washes.Ga

Reaction score
Hello all, names J. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads through.

I have been working as a manager for a fairly large corporate-owned wash brand that will remain nameless to preserve my job while I get my plan in action.

I've decided that I am done breaking my back making someone else a killing, and plan on using my experience in the industry to establish my own location, hopefully expanding into a multi-location operation within the next 10 years.

I have experience with express and flex-serve operations, and will likely be going that route. Although currently there are not a lot of SS or IBA operations nearby and I could capitalize on that gap.

So a few questions I have for industry veterans:

1. What size lot would you consider the smallest viable size for any given business model?
2. Do you prefer using one manufacturer for your equipment or do you mix-and-match?
3. Would you think it's worth it to combine models? A flex-serve with a touch-free IBA, or multi-bay SS with an express tunnel for example.
4. Resources for estimating costs? I have access to all that data for the express tunnel I currently manage but I have no baseline for Flex or Full Serve, SS or IBA.

Thanks again to anyone who can offer advice here. I'm learning that making the jump from manager to operator is going to be a pretty major learning experience.

MC3033

Reaction score
Unless you plan on raising cash the main question is how much capital do you have? That will likely point you in a direction

J.Washes.Ga

Reaction score
Unless you plan on raising cash the main question is how much capital do you have? That will likely point you in a direction
Currently between my co-conspirator and myself we have about $5,000 which I know is basically nothing. We plan on saving what we can, raising funding any way we can, and approaching a pair of investors who make most of their income building and selling washes. Possibly a small business loan to fill the gap.

washnshine

Reaction score
Currently between my co-conspirator and myself we have about $5,000 which I know is basically nothing. We plan on saving what we can, raising funding any way we can, and approaching a pair of investors who make most of their income building and selling washes. Possibly a small business loan to fill the gap.
Have you considered buying and existing wash?

MC3033

Reaction score
I would look in the already built SS / IBA direction.

You would need a really strong resume and networking ability to land investor cash on your first wash if you aren’t able to put in large amounts of capital yourself.

Rather then investors you may be able to find another business partner. They would put in the money and have control but you might be able to find yourself a nice equity position and run the business

J.Washes.Ga

Reaction score

You would need a really strong resume and networking ability to land investor cash on your first wash if you aren’t able to put in large amounts of capital yourself.

Rather then investors you may be able to find another business partner. They would put in the money and have control but you might be able to find yourself a nice equity position and run the business
I appreciate the advice. I'll have to keep my eyes open for an existing SS.

JosephLHall87

Reaction score

Right.