What's new

Mama always said...

KleanRide

Reaction score
...stupid is as stupid does.

This morning I had to dismantle a jammed coin mech and found the following: one penny, one $5 peso coin, one token from someone else's wash, 3 clean quarters, and 2 quarters with strings.

Here's what I can't figure out: My vacs are only $1.00 to start, so if he first dropped in the 3 clean quarters he was only one more quarter from pay dirt. But then he drilled and destroyed two quarters trying to save one?

Fact is: he was hellbent to get a free vac, when there are 2 tunnels offering free vacs within a mile of me, neither of which require a purchase to use them.

We've probably got about a dozen quarters on strings hanging on our pump room "wall of shame" but I'm thinking about using these to make a nice pair of earrings for my wife.

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
Many years ago the quarter on a string would work to start the equipment as would a bent Bobby pin. It doesn’t work anymore, I’m a little surprised that people still think that trick will still work, but then again you have to realize the type of customers who come to a self-serve car wash. The ones who I think are some of the dumbest people on the face of the earth are the ones who put pennies, nickels, dimes in the coin box, jam up the coin box and then call and bitch about the car wash ripping them off.

KleanRide

Reaction score
I googled “quarter on a string” and this came up. I guess my customers are fans of Sponge Bob Square Pants...

mac

Reaction score
Still can't believe some tunnel people give away free vacs without a purchase. These idiots have a 20 or 25 hp motor running all day.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have our Dixmor Led7's on our four coin op vacuums setup so when people get the dollar coins from my two changers in my laundromat they can get an extra minute by using the golden dollar coins in any of the vacuums. Susan B quarter look alikes are now I notice are almost totally out of circulation gobbled up by collectors.

It did take time for it to happen .... but customers do eventually notice the perk & comment on it. It does make for better coin mech reliability dollar coin wise than more numerous quarters among other perks for us the car wash vacuum operators.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Still can't believe some tunnel people give away free vacs without a purchase. These idiots have a 20 or 25 hp motor running all day.
Exactly.

Considering the nasty crap that my $1 customers try to vacuum up, I can't imagine what they must be finding in those "no purchase required" vacs.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Many years ago the quarter on a string would work to start the equipment as would a bent Bobby pin. It doesn’t work anymore, I’m a little surprised that people still think that trick will still work, but then again you have to realize the type of customers who come to a self-serve car wash. The ones who I think are some of the dumbest people on the face of the earth are the ones who put pennies, nickels, dimes in the coin box, jam up the coin box and then call and bitch about the car wash ripping them off.
We find a lot of floss picks and bobby pins around the vac islands too. Old habits die hard.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Someone pm me on the floss thing, I never heard of it.
I can't imagine it's relevant any more. There use to be mechanical acceptors that had a switch at the bottom with a wire lever that the coin would hit. A crook could stick something in the return slot and trip the wire like a coin does. I haven't seen any of those things in well over 20 years.

Randy

Reaction score
There are still a few around. My competition on the other end of town bought some cheap vacuums and they have the mechanical coin acceptors installed with the cherry switch at the bottom.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I aint even worried about the coin stringing its the EMP jammers that you can just rack up unlimited time on way easier.