• Auto Laundry News

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • SSCWN

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

phred113

Reaction score
What magazines does anyone read?

I get them all, but often just pitch them.
Which one do you consider the best so I can cancel the others?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Penthouse, Modern Drummer and Griot's Garage, but that's more of a catalog. Just kidding.

You mean carwash trade mags? Pc&D, Autolaundry News. Both are good.

Mitch

Reaction score
SSCWN hands down. I flip through the others (I get all four) and chunk them, but I save these and refer to them years later.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
SSCWN is great. I read articles in all mags that have topic areas of interest. For instance, since I don't do detailing I skip those. You neve know where you may find a $ making / saving idea

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
SSCWN. I read sscwn cover to cover (including all the ads, which is unusual for me).
I get the others, but only skim thru them quickly.

Since the poll says "read/keep", I either need to have sscwn added, or "none of the above." Then I'll vote.

phred113

Reaction score
Ok, SSCWN is the obvious choice for everyone, so I will leave it off the poll.
Besides SSCWN what else do you read/keep?
They all seem to be waste of paper and clutter my office and trash.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Jesus, how did I forget SSCWN, JJ is going to shoot me in Vegas. I should quit drinking first thing in the AM. I too have the issues dating back to God knows when.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

To me any discussion of the various mag's needs to contrast the variations. I have written a good bit for this industry so my insight may be different than most but here goes. My work has not only been in three of the mag's mentioned but my Car Wash Appraisal Handbook is well known to the industry

Some mags publish on a regular schedule. For example PC & D is monthly. Others seem to come out on an erratic basis; sometimes six months between issues, sometimes less, no regular publication date is very unusual in the publishing industry.

Some largely steer clear of partisan politics, one seems to relish having the last word on such topics. Readers can choose whether such comments belong in car wash journals.

Some have editorial boards and belong to relatively large publishing companies. This limits what the mag is allowed to do, what liberties can be taken. One is completely in the hands of one person who reports to no company, no board of directors and so on. This has advantages and disadvantages.

Some limit the length of the articles they can accept. ALN has carried some of my longer pieces in two subsequent issues because the piece was too long for a single issue. One mag allows longer pieces but often they are writne by the owner/editor/publisher instead of by a person who has owned multiple washes for decades. The credentials of the authors usually merit serious consideration.

Two of the mags for which I have written not only feel free to make stylistic changes in my work but one in particular has me saying things I never said. Throughout the publishinging industry this is absolutely not ever done. It is fundamentally unethical. Needless to say I no longer write for either of these mags, nor will I ever again. When a reader can no longer be sure if what the mag shows as an authr's work was really the author's work then the credibility of the mag is down the drain.

There's much more but time and space limnit me.

Patrick H. Crowe

Etowah
P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Bubbles Galore:

Within almost all industries there develop, over the years, what are known as "Industry Standards". For example, in the self-service car wash industry, trigger guns are now the industry standard. Of course you are completely free to simply use a piece of pipe but in my opinion you do so at your own peril.

The trade publishing magazine industry has its own set of stanbdards. I'll limit myself to naming three: 1. An editor/publisher never changes or adds to what an author wrote without first getting the explicit permission of the author to do so. Of course the editor can correct misspellings or solecisms but that's the extent of it. I can personally attest to the fact that the two mag's for which I will no longer write literally changed what I wrote. That's as clear a violation of industry standards as any professional author can imagine. Moreover, professional authors such as myself (I've been a member of Author's Guild for decades) have a set of ethics which keeps them from writing for such unprofessional editors.

2. A trade magazine is free to express editorial views but usually these are limited to topics within the area of the trade. If one of these mag's gave a clearly labeled editorial stating that non-trigger guns are a menace, then that's fine. To stray into politics is questionable for a trade journal. To not make it very clear that the editor feels free to change an author's work is way out of line. Not illegal, just a clear violation of minimum industry standards.

3. The industry standard is to pay anj autghor a kill fee for work that is produced on time and on topic and then arbitrairly rejected by an editor or publisher. When you get to the task of writing your own trade mag I hope you'll follow these minimum industry standards of professionalism. I have personally been denied such a kill fee by SSCWN. Of course you are 100% free to do as you please but it is the task and responsibility of long standing professional writers to call you to task when you fail to meet these basic, minimum standards of professionalism within the publishing industry.

Patrick H. Crowe

jfmoran

Reaction score
Am I the only one who hears the teacher from Charlie Brown in their head every time I read one of Pat's posts?

Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah (I know what you're thinking, I misspelled wash 8 times)

Etowah