What's new

LW4000--"your machine knocked my mirror off"

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Guy claims that we took his drivers side mirror off on his 2010 Sonota. Does anyone know on that model if the mirrors fold or are fixed? I could believe it on the passenger side that doesn't fold backward and/or doesn't push the arm out of it's own way with it sloping back like on the driver's side. In 13 years, I don't recall ever tearing one off, the impact switch always stops the carwash. He, as alot of customers do, 'drifted' to toward the stop/go sign as they pull into the bay. In the video, the machine went out as far as possible on the driver's side and measured perfectly, but clipped his mirror because he was too far over, but not far enough over for the VT to cancel the wash. The arm didn't even slow down, which leads me to believe it could have already been loose?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shouldn't the arm move visibly in the video if it were contacting a mirror hard enough to break it free from the vehicle?

I would not be quick to admit responsibility here.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Lets see, the mirror wasn't obviously broken in the video. The vehicle is a 2010 and you saw the arm hit it. Short of asking him if the mirror was already broken, how do you intend to find out?

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Loose mirror or not it's user error, the machine didn't malfunction. It can only go out so far and did. When I pull into my garage i don't steer toward the wall.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Loose mirror or not it's user error, the machine didn't malfunction. It can only go out so far and did. When I pull into my garage i don't steer toward the wall.
Whatever, clearly we do business differently. The machine did malfunction. It is not supposed to hit cars.

You say he steered toward a wall. I say he was steering away from the other wall.

Was he outside any clearly defined boundaries in your wash? If so, what alerted him that he was?

I refuse to pay people when it is clearly their fault. However, when in doubt, I typically try to build goodwill rather than having that customer spread the truth, "I went to XYZ carwash and the machine hit my car. The *&^%$ owner refused to pay for my damages. I showed him, I turned it in on my insurance who then filed a claim against his insurance. That will teach the *&^%$!"

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Frankly, If that VT let someone get that close to the arm and still operated I do think the wash is at fault. It's a Sonata, the mirror only sticks out a few inches. I think that is a poor set-up if it allows this. I have a Wesumat machine that if the customer got in off-centered far enough the wash would run, but the gantry would catch mirrors, sometimes ripping them off the car. I moved the guide rails in 2" on each side and also trimmed 1/2" off the part that was catching the mirrors. I've broken one mirror in the 5 years since.

IMO, you owe them for the mirror...man up.

Reds

Reaction score
Guide rails with yellow reflective tape on them would prevent this from happening again. Also some guide sticks with yellow hose over them at the entry. Signage that says drive up the middle + not responsible for damage to wheels, tires, or trim. I have all 3 of these things at my autos. Also a sign that says "pickup trucks, SUV's and vans must fold in your mirrors before entering the wash". Then if they stay between the rails the machine cannot hit them. If they jump the rails or don't fold their mirrors it's their fault. Fortunately I have never knocked a mirror off due to these precautions.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Putting anything on the floor kind of defeats the purpose of VT dont you think? Why not just stick with the treadle if you're going to go right back to guide rails? This is the first mirror in 13 years of operation without markings or guiderails, but thank you for your thoughts. Before that, I think it's been one or two bug shields. I'll let the insurance company figure out fault, that's what they're paid to do.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I use reflective highway markers epoxied to the concrete floor in a straight line through the bay. For most vehicles the driver can position his / her car and drive forward right over the markers. They feel the bump as they drive over them and it keeps the car in a nice straight line until the VT sees the car and loads them. I buy the markers from Grainger.com