What's new

LW4000 width measurement problem

zed 9

Reaction score
our Laser wash 4000 with virtual treadle is having width measurement problem, going wide full extents on all passes. The problem i see is the arch, when a car is loaded into the bay and on the first pass the trolley moves from the home position a few inches and stops for 4 or 5 seconds, but the arch ( top manifold ) is not aligned to the side of the car, the trolley has pulled up short by 8 inches or so. Does anyone have any ideas or reasons why this happening??
The side ultrasonics ( blue color ) have been tested, and the right ultrasonic has been replaced with a new ultrasonic for 2 reasons, 1st you could just hear the "clicking" when your ear was on the ultrasonic and the 2nd reason was when carrying out the calibration procedure steps there was no short signal ( beep ) from the buzzer when the target was moved in.

I have carried out the side ultrasonic calibration procedure carefully following all steps in the manual and get a good calibration as per steps 5 and 5a.

In the J0 electrical box i have watched the X30 LED and the RY33A relay light come on and off as the trolley moves from the home position, stops, and travels across the front and rear, it seems to me that the X30 LED comes on and off as it should.

The VT controller is new as is the RY33A relay, the X30 proximity sensor counter bars are stainless steel, in good condition and cleaned thoroughly.
The X30 proximity sensor is adjusted to 5mm clearance, the trolley rollers black and white are good ( not new) with little slop between the rollers and the rails.

Any suggestions or reasons why i am having this width problem is much appreciated

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
It sure sounds like the calibration process wasn't done properly. Make not of the position of the arch when in the home position. It should be as if it is ready to wash a car and pointing to the rear, not over the car. This is a common mistake people make because on the opposite side you want the arch pointing over the car. What is your R and L width adjustment set to in the VT controller? For every LED that is on you add 7" (I believe).

Also, don't hesitate to call tech service as they can walk you through the steps.

zed 9

Reaction score
Kris, i have carried out the side ultrasonic calibration again making sure the arch is in the home position, pointing to the rear of the car and the X30 LED is on ( Input Mudule 2) and i still get a good calibration as described in step 5a, but still the arch goes wide. If there was something wrong with the calibration wouldn't i come across a problem somewhere in the procedure and end with a bad calibration Step 5b ?

The width adjustment in the VT controller is: L Arch Buffer LED 8 is blinking and LEDs 7 and 6 on, R Arch Buffer is LED 1 blinking and LEDs 2 and 3 on, but LEDs 2 and 3 are on the left of LED 1, the VT manual says for position D The more LEDs on to the right of the blinking LED, the larger the arch buffer ( may be its a typo and should read on the Left of the blinking LED )

Can the L and R Abort Zones adjustments cause the arch to go wide ? ie the wash envelope is too small.
These are the Abort Zone Limits:
L Abort Zone, LED 8 flashing and LEDs 7,6,5,4 are on.
R Abort Zone LED 1 flashing and LEDs 2,3,4, 5 are on
What should the Abort Zone Limits be set to?

Etowah