What's new

LW4000 for free. Should I go for it?

MEP001

Reaction score
That's what I liked about the D&S 5000, it took two of us less than a day to unload, uncrate and have it fully installed.

HCW

Reaction score
How old is your Monsoon? From the pump station this LW4000 is originally from the 1990's. The bay signs and the Rain-X decal are both a more modern upgrade.

A couple of things to check would be to open the door to the control cabinet (known as the J0) and look at the computer mounted to the door. If it is an A-4000 controller you will need to upgrade that. If it is an A-5000 controller then pull the cover off and look for a chip along the bottom left with the software version number. An A-5000 equipped with version 20 or higher, will have the laser minder programming installed and will not require a PDQ distributor to unlock the system option number. It will also already have the programming for Triple Foam. You may have to change the plumbing number to see it.

Just my 2 cents, but unless your Monsoon is older than the LW4000, I would not look to replace it. Have you considered selling it or parting it out?
PEI
It is a 19 B, so no triple foam option?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
It is a 19 B, so no triple foam option?[/QUOTE]

I dont believe so It will say Foaming Wax in the option numbers. I done away with my triple foam pods and applying a high dollar Carnauba Wax way stronger than Rain-X and give it on my top two packages and about to go to $12 & $14 and shines the car like crazy very smooth paint when done washing my customers are very happy. From my experience Through the arch is 10xs better coverage anyways. Always try to give a actual Polish or wax. Triple Foam is just another LO PH soap that helps drying but doesn't actual shine the paint and make is Glossy and smooth.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
At the risk of going way off track the terms polish and wax has been misused probably more than any other terms in out industry. Many years ago (in the 80's) a small chemical manufacturer in Wisconsin sued several of the brand name manufacturers over the use of the term wax in describing their products. Ultimately the manufacturers settled out of court and for the short term refrained from using the term wax choosing to use the term polish. Their justification was that the term polish could also mean to clean.

Today both terms - polish and wax - are used freely by manufacturers without any attempt to clarify what exactly true benefit they provide. I would point out that carnuba is basically a solid which cannot be liquefied unless it is heated which means that although a product may contain carnuba it would be in a suspension rather than in a solution and in the case of a "polish wax" would do little or anything to enhance the shine or increase protection in the same vain as Teflon which also could only be in a suspension. What has happened is that using carnuba wax or Teflon in a car wash product is more of a marketing ploy than something that really increases the shine or protection. Any protection they might provide would be very temporary at best. Manufacturers that use either of these ingredients say that as long as they are in the formula (regardless of the minute amount) they feel free to tout their benefits and are not deceiving consumers.

Technically a low pH product (or even a high pH product) would enhance the shine by removing the surface soils that tend to dull the finish by diffusing or blocking light rays. So in a broader sense they could be considered a polish because of their cleaning capabilities. In today's marketplace the terms polish or wax are used in the loosest of definitions. The best protection and shine are really provided more with products like RainX or other super sealants that use a water soluble silicone that actually adheres to the surface and lasts much longer than any "wax".

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Sorry Rph9861 from my personal experience of using Rain-X, and other operators in my area wth a Laserwash the results are not half as good as products like Bodysheild by AA/ZEP or Extreme Shine Wax by AA. The best that I have found is "Shine-On" very strong smelling and really makes black cars and dark colors which are the hardest to really shine which contains carnuba wax free floating like you said. These products cost more per car than Rain-X but you can charge more for the extra service being offered I feel like and do. Most operators don't want to spend more on high quality soaps/waxes like that. But to each is own. Rain-X works good on beading glass but doesn't have that super glossy shine like I am Getting results on cars like the Quest shine-on or Extreme Shine Wax or Bodysheild or TotalSheild by Quest. No I am not a chemical supplier/Distributor. I am just a very picky operator that wants the "Best" to his Customers coming from a Touch free Laserwash. Just trying to share my experience for what it's worth if any from a small town operator.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
This is what I wrote.

The best protection and shine are really provided more with products like RainX or other super sealants that use a water soluble silicone that actually adheres to the surface and lasts much longer than any "wax".

I said products like RainX or other super sealants as some of those products you mention are. I did not say which one was best and certainly did not say RainX was. There is no wax that will last longer than a super sealant. There is also no way carnuba or any other wax will adhere to the surface. If you and your customers like the end result that is fine but the reality of the facts do not support your perceptions.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
PEI
It is a 19 B, so no triple foam option?
With the chip number of 19b, you have the ability to run triple foam. You would need to change your hardware option number to add in the triple foam, but you will lose the foam polish. If you get, (I believe version 21), and add more output cards, you will have the ability to program foam polish and triple foam.

With chip version numbers 18 and 19, you will need to have to call PDQ to change your system option numbers, as they are encrypted. On other versions you can change it yourself. Just tell PDQ all of the options you have on your machine. Heat, weep, triple foam, etc.....