What's new

LW4000--Be gone swivel bearing

raisetheprice

Reaction score
After 13 years, I'm divorcing the bent pipe bearing a top the arch index/swivel. No more seized bearings to bent pipes at our shop, swivel changes shouldnt take 1/2 your day with a bearing that's got to be cut off. Has anyone used/installed WW's block design retrofit kit to a 4000? My current bearing brackets are bolted and not welded like some, which should take it down a notch on the skill set required. It sounds like a fairly easy conversion for a few 100 bucks. Anyone?

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
I have a WW high velocity and trust me the UHMW Bearing block sucks. I go through the best mosamatic swivels $ 280 (kleen rite) every 2 months. I have been wanting to change it over to a bearing like 4000 for ever now. Friend of mine says he converted his 4000 to a 2 bearing setup and has no trouble since, need to see that before I do anything. Why do you not like the bearing setup?

madscientist

Reaction score
Yes, why do you not like the current setup?

I also had a two bearing setup at first, but had to remove the bottom bearing when I got a replacement swivel that wasn't the extra short version. The short versions are tough to come by.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
When I want to replace a swivel, the bearing is seized to the bentpipe when the set screw is tightened. Some techs tighten them, some don't. Then it has to be cut off with a cutting wheel to replace when it finally goes. With the WW setup, the bearing doesnt need to be greased or replaced. It's similar the top swivel block.

Tobacco's comments do cause me some concern though. Every 2 month's tells me that either it's an alignment issue, low/flat tires on his machine or the WW setup isn't any better. If it's every 2 months why not use the super swivel? They're all excessively overpriced, but if it's every 2 months surely a super swivel would last that long.

I have also run the double swivel and I must say that it does hold the bent pipe in place the best. But Mad, you said short swivel (way cheaper) is hard to come by and that it's what you ran on your doubles. But in my experience the short swivel won't let the bent pipe come down enough. I have to run the long swivel ($150) with the double to get it to work. Our distributor can and does keep the long in stock now.

Swivel...you are the weakest link. :mad:

madscientist

Reaction score
I've seen a few different sizes of swivels, so I may be incorrectly naming it the "short" swivel.

The first time I changed a straight swivel I spent over an hour and 3 allen wrenches trying to get that set screw loose. When I got it loose I threw it away, as I've done with all the rest of them since then. Never had that problem again. Maybe that will solve your problem?

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
super swivel lasts 2 weeks tops! I do have alingment tool also! its a terrible design, as my swivel up top center of bay lasts a year or more so I know its not swivel as much as too much weight on swivel.