What's new

LW 4000 won't send page

Wally

Reaction score
My twelve year old Laser has quit send out a page. I disconnected the phone wire and replugged it thinking it might have some corrosion but it didn't help. The pager works fine. Any suggestions?

madscientist

Reaction score
There's a very expensive chip inside your controller that may have gone bad. Lightning/power surge recently?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Wally,

Gotta break it down to the device (I think you are assuming).

First, can you plug in a phone to that line and it works OK with little noise. If you dial the number to your paging company, does the called end answer with a tone? If yes, then the line and far end paging company good.

Second, Does the Laser seize the line or you get nothing? Can you dial into a Laser 4000 (not sure, but you can dial into a M5)? If no, then it's the laser.

Maybe you did this, but you didn't provide any details.

Big

Wally

Reaction score
Bigloe I took the phone line loose and plugged in a phone and called my cell phone and it worked ok. Tomorrow I'll call the paging company and see if it goes through.
Thanks Madscientist and Bigleo for your help.

Wally

Reaction score
Bigleo, I took the line loose, plugged in a phone and called the paging company and got a chirp chirp. Should that have sent a page to my pager?

cherokee235

Reaction score
Call your pager number from any phone and send yourself a page. If it works that eliminates the paging company.

Next force the laser to page you. Mine will page when EM stop is pushed in. Right after you push the button, pick up a phone extension on the same line as the laser. You should hear a dial tone, then if the modem is working you will hear in the handset the laser dial the pager company. Listen for the company to pick up and tone, then listen to the laser send its fault code to the company.

If it doesn't work the way I described your modem is:

1. defective
2. possibly sending the tone too fast or too slow.

If the modem doesn't dial while listening on the handset, the problem is in the modem. Also, check your laser's pager parameters program to make sure some glitch in the Lasermind didn't foul things up.

Wally

Reaction score
Cherokee, I unplugged the phone in the equiptment room to the auto cashier, plugged in a hand set and dialed my pager and it did page me. Then while the phone was still plugged in I pushed in the E-Stop and the Laser started dialing the pager company and after a few rings a recording came on and said your call did not go through please try again. I did and the same thing happened.
bottom line: I can call my pager from that line and the machine tries but can't.

Wally

Reaction score
One more question. How many seconds should the delay be set on. It was on 5 seconds and I moved it 8 to see if make a difference and it didn't.

cherokee235

Reaction score
Cherokee, I unplugged the phone in the equiptment room to the auto cashier, plugged in a hand set and dialed my pager and it did page me. Then while the phone was still plugged in I pushed in the E-Stop and the Laser started dialing the pager company and after a few rings a recording came on and said your call did not go through please try again. I did and the same thing happened.
bottom line: I can call my pager from that line and the machine tries but can't.
That sounds like a phone company issue. Dumb question: Are you sure the laser is dialing the right number? Might of had a glitch change the programmed number.

Check you pager parameters on the Lasermind. Read the owner's manual and it will give you different methods to dial and page. Sounds like the modem is working, so it appears it's another issue. That would be a good thing because those modems are expensive.

Wally

Reaction score
Today I deleted the second phone number and according to the manuel the "/" should be at the end of the phone number. I put it in although it has never had it before. I plugged in my phone and pushed the emergency stop and the number was dialing and then the message came on saying this number cannot be completed as dialed.

cherokee235

Reaction score
It sure sounds like the modem is dialing the wrong number. The phone company is not recognizing the number dialed as an appropriate number within its exchange. Print a program report on your printer and see what number it is dialing. It's been a while but I think the code is 1905 enter, then print the appropriate report. You will have to look in your manual to get the proper code to print the report

MEP001

Reaction score
Did they change it where that number has to have an area code dialed now where it didn't before?

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Pager

When setting the pager up, make sure that the dial tone is not ignored. Some phone lines take a second or two longer to get a dial tone. If the modem is dialing just a split second too soon, the whole numger is not sent. Also check to make sure you don't have long distant numbers blocked on the line. I do have a block on my phone at the wash. So I don't use an area code when the laser dials. If the Laser waits for a dial tone then dials, its just a matter of setting the delays so the page will go through.

Wally

Reaction score
I went into the program and the question came up "wait for dial tone yes/no". It was set on no and I changed it to yes. I don't have a block on my long distance dialing. My printer quit working some time ago and I never replaced it. It was the original one that PDQ was using 12 years ago made by Citizen. I think I'll take a look on e-bay and see what's out there.

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
This works on my laser: Dash on pager= no, Terminate call with #= yes, Ignore dialtone=no, Delay to dailtone=15 seconds, Access delay= 7 seconds.

MEP001

Reaction score
Does the modem dial the code to disable call-waiting? If it does but the line no longer has call-waiting, it will fail.

Can you listen while it's dialing? Do you hear the dial tone before it begins to dial?

When it dials does it send the same number of digits as you do when you dial from the same line?

When you get the "call cannot be completed" message, is it immediately after the pager number is dialed (would mean a misdialed number), or is there a pause of 20 or so seconds (would indicate an incomplete number).

Wally

Reaction score
I'll check my settings on terminate and ignore and move the delay seconds as per instructions. Mine are presently on Delay 5 access delay 5.
Mep: I'll have to check it out and see.

Wally

Reaction score
I did all of the above letter for letter and it still won't work. I get the dial tone then a 20 second delay and then the massage. There is no sound of a number being dialed.
If anybody has a printer at a good deal that will work on the 4000, put it on Pitzers classifieds and let me know it's there. I need to get my configuration report.