What's new

LW 4000 Spray Arch scratches again. Need help..

MDrost1

Reaction score
I am writing to get some advice about my LW 4000 spray arch.

Today I had the spray arch run against a truck(the second time) incurring another $700 damage. I understand the LW is a machine and will have issues. However, If it does hit a car, I need to make sure that it doesn't scratch it.

Are there cover options out that will NOT scratch a car in the event of a collision? Any tips on tweeking the lateral movement of the arch so it gives quicker?? I have paid a $1400 in expense over the course of my ownership, and need some confidence that the arch will not scratch vehicles.

BBE

Reaction score
I'll let someone else tackle the reason why your arch keeps hitting the sides of vehicles in the first place, but in the meantime, if you want a new cover you may look into this:

http://www.pdqinc.com/store/product.asp?pID=10017

It's pricey, yes. It cleans up nicely though, and it's half the price you've already paid in damages.

Perhaps the foam cover piece is missing on your arch that is supposed to come with the virtual treadle package?

MDrost1

Reaction score
This is the cover I have. I don't know how old it is. Are new ones softer? Less prone to damaging cars?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
WashWorld has one is what I have and several operators I know use I am sure there half the price of PDQ and way softer and very professional the high velocity and the razor have the same spray arch covers and work excellent on the Laser 4000

I would be trying to fix why the arch is hitting the cars is it sizing the cars correctly are the flags adjusted correctly and the parameters set to 5 and 7 on the width and length

MDrost1

Reaction score
Yeah. Gonna work on that. Found an old foam cover. Put it over the blue cover for now. I have Woltco coming ou

madscientist

Reaction score
As I have responded on another thread, you have an intermittent x30 issue. Maybe it's related to the x30 wire issue you mentioned on a different thread. I would try to get that figured out as well.

As far as scratch resistant covers go, was it the cover that scratched the vehicles, or the nozzles? You can put soft rubber nozzle protectors on your nozzles. You really only need them on most of the side arch, not the top arch.

https://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/2710

MDrost1

Reaction score
MS,

Thanks for your help. I did have the separate x30 wire run. I am having a tech out soon. Lastly, I had the big blue cover pdq makes. Scratched two trucks on impact. Covered it with foam cover today. I hope this alleviates that issue of scratching.

I hope to have the whole x30 line checked today.

Thanks for you help and patience.

BBE

Reaction score
Did it just hit the vehicle and give you an impact error, or did it scrape down the entire side of the vehicle? I have the same cover, and the nozzles are recessed extremely well and I just can't imagine that cover being able to cause any serious damage to a vehicle.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I agree; your issue to deal with is the impact reason, not the foam cover.

As an operator, I suggest you learn to troubleshoot this type of malfunction yourself.

MDrost1

Reaction score
Understood, and I haven't had an impact since I upgraded the x30 cable. Wired directly to the J0.

I am waiting for my tech to arrive to help with the diagnosis. I am doing my best to troubleshoot myself. As you can imagine the first winter can be trying. You've all been through it : ). I am educating myself everytime I have an issue. With the help of experts like you, and my techs I am in fact learning how to troubleshoot these issues in the future. Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to help autoforum members and not just be an annoying newbie.

In the meantime, if an impact should happen between now, and when the tech arrives(Had 50+ washes today already no issues) I have the arch covered with the foam cover as well to insure that there will be no more claims for vehicle scratches. That is all I have right now.

I appreciate your wisdom and patience. Have a wonderful day!

Mike

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Understood, and I haven't had an impact since I upgraded the x30 cable. Wired directly to the J0.

I am waiting for my tech to arrive to help with the diagnosis. I am doing my best to troubleshoot myself. As you can imagine the first winter can be trying. You've all been through it : ). I am educating myself everytime I have an issue. With the help of experts like you, and my techs I am in fact learning how to troubleshoot these issues in the future. Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to help autoforum members and not just be an annoying newbie.

In the meantime, if an impact should happen between now, and when the tech arrives(Had 50+ washes today already no issues) I have the arch covered with the foam cover as well to insure that there will be no more claims for vehicle scratches. That is all I have right now.

I appreciate your wisdom and patience. Have a wonderful day!

Mike
Make yourself a troubleshooting and maintenance log for the machine. I did this and it helped alot. I would have a problem then flail around fixing it when I was new to this. Then I'd fix it. Then, later, if a similar problem occurred, I'd try and remember what I did to fix. The log I keep eliminates the need to recall what fixed a problem. Real useful to have a log.

washallday

Reaction score
I buy blue foam that they use on roll bars, it is soft and when it starts to look old I replace them. I also buy the blue zip ties. Very cheap and keeps the arch looking nice. You will need to cut the holes for the nozzle locations but that is simple.

soonermajic

Reaction score
If you're washing 60+ vehicles/day you may wanna buy new. You will get another bump in cpd & have BIG write offs for next 5 years! Might be worth it. Guys who wash 2000+/month on old LW's are very rare!

pgrzes

Reaction score
Not familiar with Laser programming but, is it hitting drivers or passenger sides? On a High Velocity if its the drivers side the car is positioned too far left. If its the passenger side the unit is not sizing properly or the sizing limits need to be changed to allow more space from the reading the laser is getting. Not sure if this will make any sense to you, but the 2 machines are pretty similar. Good luck trouble shooting.

Etowah