What's new

LPR + POS recommendation

jordanb7

Reaction score
New wash owner here - looking for some input. I recently purchased an express tunnel wash and am looking to upgrade some of the outdated/non-existent systems to better support memberships, data collection, marketing, etc. The prior owner used Square as his POS and didn't have any tech to track memberships (member's showed a card). I'm looking into getting a LPR system and new POS provider. A few questions:
  • I see many companies provide both POS and LPR/RFID systems as part of their tech stack (e.g. Washify, DRB). Would folks recommend using a single platform that is integrated or better off looking for independent solutions?
  • Any recommendations on the best LPR and POS solutions out there? Looking to prioritize high read-rate/accuracy
  • Any other "must-haves" that I should consider prioritizing early on?
Thanks in advance!

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
There are no independent LPR systems. Each POS company has their own version that integrates with their POS.

What POS/LPR system you choose is a very big decision and an expensive one. Choose well.

jordanb7

Reaction score
Makes sense. Knowing that, they just recently installed Washlink controllers. Would it be dumb to not use their POS/LPR? Anyone have any experience with their POS and/or LPR?

HeyVern

Reaction score
I'd go RFID over license plate readers, or both for redundancy. People will figure out you're using a plate reader and start switching plates. Good RFID stickers will break when they're moved from one windshield to another.

philliesfan94

Reaction score
We use Sonny's and love it. Extremely simple system and works really well. We used to use RFIDs but with the area we are in and most newer cars having the heated front windshields (blocks RFID tags) we changed over and removed our RFID system. Any specific questions and I'll be happy to answer.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
We use Sonny's and love it. Extremely simple system and works really well. We used to use RFIDs but with the area we are in and most newer cars having the heated front windshields (blocks RFID tags) we changed over and removed our RFID system. Any specific questions and I'll be happy to answer.
I would love to know how it's working with temp tags for you or how you circumvented this issue. Obviously people who just purchased a new car want to take care of their new baby and will sign up for memberships often. But in many areas, temp tags don't have the identifiers set up like actual license plates, and LPR systems choose the wrong information to submit.

Etowah