What's new

low water cut off switch for ro storage tank

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I've got some 10' tall plastic storage tanks for ro water. I need to get a low water cut off switch in them. I don't like the idea of drilling a hole and threading a switch into the bottom of the tank. Is there a surface mounted "tape on sensor" style available? I've seen similar sensors on rv tanks to sense the water level. Any ideas?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I think you guys are misunderstanding. I think he wants a system shut off switch in the bottom of the tank in case the float switch fails. I guess a float switch would work if you could hold it a foot above the bottom of the tank...

I'm sure he could McGiever something up!

Last edited:

chaz

Reaction score
Drill and thread your hole at the top of the tank. Run the wire from the switch inside a piece of PVC pipe ....thus keeping the switch at the bottom of the tank. PVC pipe connects at top threaded hole with a 90, and allows easy install and removal as needed

MEP001

Reaction score
I use two of the float switches I.B. linked above. I don't run them through PVC because changing them is a pain when you have to thread the cord through PVC inside the tank. All it takes is a weight on the wire about 4 to 6" from the float. I drill three holes near the top of the tank for each float, one for the wire and two smaller ones to pass a cable tie through and around the wire to keep it from moving. The pump shutoff float switch just needs to be a few inches from the bottom.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
That is a three wire switch. Description states that it can be used NO or NC.
Heck,I never noticed the description below the other stuff. Anyway, I've done with a stick of PVC and a weighted cord and definitely prefer weighting the cord. It makes fine tuning easier too if there is a reason to do that on the high level switch.