What's new

Low pressure tire cleaner problem

Davidson

Reaction score
Tire cleaner not working at all on a 5 bay system. Replaced flo jet, air regulator, liquid gauge, cleaned strainer in tank. The gauge is at zero now even when bay meter is on and TC is selected. Pump not pumping. Seems to be voltage to solenoids when activated. I'm stumped.

FWIW it's a CWR 5 bay system. Gravity fed TC to pump from tank. There is a check valve in line from tank to pump but it's plumbed in the copper line and not removable. Doesn't make sense.

What am I missing?

MEP001

Reaction score
The solenoid that supplies air to the Flojet is probably not opening. I used to work for CWR. I just worked on a CWR stand on Friday with the same issue except it was foam brush. Turn off the air, unplug the tire cleaner, remove the coil (It's probably stuck because it melted like the one I just worked on), remove the two screws and the valve stem, remove the poppet from the solenoid, replace the stem and turn the air back on. It will work until you get a new DEMA 401P.6 solenoid.
There is a check valve in line from tank to pump but it's plumbed in the copper line and not removable. Doesn't make sense.
Thank Rex Stokes.

Davidson

Reaction score
The solenoid that supplies air to the Flojet is probably not opening. I used to work for CWR. I just worked on a CWR stand on Friday with the same issue except it was foam brush. Turn off the air, unplug the tire cleaner, remove the coil (It's probably stuck because it melted like the one I just worked on), remove the two screws and the valve stem, remove the poppet from the solenoid, replace the stem and turn the air back on. It will work until you get a new DEMA 401P.6 solenoid.

Thank Rex Stokes.
There isn't a solenoid for the air on this one. Air comes straight from tank to regulator, then to flojet.

Randy

Reaction score
Do you have a gauge on the air supply to the Flojet pump to confirm tha you do have air to the pump? Have you put a voltmeter on the solenoid valve when it's energized/activated? Checking for power to the solenoid valve coil. Turn the air off to the Flojet pump and disconnect the discharge from the pump, apply air the Flojet pump to see if it will pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
It must be the check valve. Shark Bite fitting time.

Edit: Just take the check valve out. It's just going to fail again. If there's a check valve on the bottom of the air solenoids, take that out too, that will allow a place for the pressure to escape if a check valve at the boom fails so it can release without damaging anything.

Davidson

Reaction score
Do you have a gauge on the air supply to the Flojet pump to confirm tha you do have air to the pump? Have you put a voltmeter on the solenoid valve when it's energized/activated? Checking for power to the solenoid valve coil. Turn the air off to the Flojet pump and disconnect the discharge from the pump, apply air the Flojet pump to see if it will pump.
Yes there is a gauge on the air supply to pump and I have checked solenoids with volt meter. I'll disconnect the discharge and try that and see what happens.

washnvac

Reaction score
There is a check valve in the air inlet to the flo-jet. Make sure you have it seated fully and securing clip engaged.

Davidson

Reaction score
Yes there is a gauge on the air supply to pump and I have checked solenoids with volt meter. I'll disconnect the discharge and try that and see what happens.
I disconnected discharge and applied air and pump works.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I disconnected discharge and applied air and pump works.
Then it would seem you have liquid to solenoid but even with voltage they are not opening. Can you see if coil is actually "Energized" - see if something metal like a screwdriver is attracted to it. If so likely plunger inside is gummed up. You can carefully take apart and clean to make sure plunger is free moving or replace. DO NOT energize coil while off plunger rod. But with plunger rod removed and coil on you can turn it on and see if it sucks plunger into rod.

Davidson

Reaction score
Then it would seem you have liquid to solenoid but even with voltage they are not opening. Can you see if coil is actually "Energized" - see if something metal like a screwdriver is attracted to it. If so likely plunger inside is gummed up. You can carefully take apart and clean to make sure plunger is free moving or replace. DO NOT energize coil while off plunger rod. But with plunger rod removed and coil on you can turn it on and see if it sucks plunger into rod.
Screwdriver slightly pulls to solenoid when activated. I did notice when trying to remove plunger there is tire cleaner steadily coming out, even with discharge hose disconnected from flo jet. Even removed gauge from solenoid tree and still liquid. Maybe a check valve bad above bays?

MEP001

Reaction score
You might have the check valve at the bottom of the stack backwards. It could also be bad or stopped up. I recommend removing it as in my experience it will cause more problems than it can solve. It's not a check valve at the boom unless it's all of them.

Take a plunger out of one of the solenoids and turn the air on to the pump. You should get liquid to that bay.

Davidson

Reaction score
You might have the check valve at the bottom of the stack backwards. It could also be bad or stopped up. I recommend removing it as in my experience it will cause more problems than it can solve. It's not a check valve at the boom unless it's all of them.

Take a plunger out of one of the solenoids and turn the air on to the pump. You should get liquid to that bay.
MEP- I took the plunger out of a solenoid and turned air on and no liquid comes out.

Also changed flo jet and still nothing. There is air and liquid to flo jet.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
Try removing that check valve.