What's new

Low Ph soaps

Eric H

Reaction score
In another thread Bigleo recommended KR Kleen Track 2a for HP soap. I am considering switching over but I am concerned about using a low PH (acid). I used to manage a wash that used Trans-Mate Aluminator B for PS and FB and it did a great job cleaning but would eat brass elbows. Would using low Ph be better in a low pressure or High pressure function? Will the acid corrode brass fittings and solenoids? Anything else I should be concerned with before I make a switch?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
No experience with either product, but just about every low ph product I have used will eat brass. It won't happen overnight, though. Corrosive high ph will also deteriorate brass. Over several years on an auto I have replaced just about all brass fittings with stainless. I just stock the appropriate stainless fitting and replace when the brass fails, or if I'm bored.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
A lot depends on the pH level of the product and the dilution ratio. Most likely a low pH presoak would have a lower pH. A conditioner or shampoo would only be slightly acidic. Either will attack brass but a shampoo or conditioner would take a lot longer to do it than a presoak.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
My concern about using it in a SS is that I dont have control over dwell time, I worry about damage to a customer's finish & wheels.
I'm not really sure if thats a valid concern or not - I'd be interested in hearing other opinions & experiences.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Fancy "Detail Shop" Wax Removal?

My concern about using it in a SS is that I dont have control over dwell time, I worry about damage to a customer's finish & wheels.
I'm not really sure if thats a valid concern or not - I'd be interested in hearing other opinions & experiences.
Paul,

I do think that is a very valid concern. I remember one time over 15 years ago there was a person who said his brand new big ticket "detail shop just done" extra fancy wax was taken off by our car wash. I went back on the camera & it showed the "money's no object" person going over & over his vehicle countless times with the presoak which of course increased the dwell time more than normal.

In this case the presoak was on the other side of the pH spectrum --- it contained LYE. To make a long story short the "slick talking" detail shop owner & the person ganged up on me" --- even after I showed both of them in great length about how the hydrominder could not possibly have increased the dosage temporarily.

We did change to a less risky presoak to avoid any future incidents.:cool:

mike walsh king koin of bismarck

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is no chance for any damage unless you get really carried away with the dilution of the presoak. Even then it is very unlikely to create any problems.