What's new

lost pressure

dozerman

Reaction score
I have a self serve bay with a cat 310 pump, pump has full pressure 1200+lbs when trigger is not squeezed. when trigger is squeezed pressure drops to 800 lbs

mac

Reaction score
Could be a couple of things. Lack of water flow comes to mind. Next would be a seal and valve kit. When those start to fail that is a common symptom.

Randy

Reaction score
Try the easiest thing first, swap the regulator from the bay that has low pressure with another bay that works fine, see if the problem goes with the regulator.

MEP001

Reaction score
Replace the tip with a new one, and make sure it's the correct size.

You could have a failed check valve letting pressure go back through something. The weep one is easiest to diagnose because your other bays will be weeping when the bay with weak pressure is running.

If the pump clatters really loud with the trigger pulled but is quiet with it released, you have a restriction on the water line to the pump, often a failed check valve.

If you go so far as to check the valves in the pump, look inside for any debris and suck on them to be sure they seat completely.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Speaking of Regulators what regulator is everybody here recommend, I've been using the SMC 555 balanced regulator, and what's everybody thought on rebuilding a regulator versus just replacing the whole unit.

Randy

Reaction score
As my Cat 7003 regulators that are original equipment on my pumping equipment go bad I’ve been replacing them with a J.E Adams 7085 regulator. I’ve never had any problems with the Adams 7085 regulator. At less than $40 why rebuild them

MEP001

Reaction score
Speaking of Regulators what regulator is everybody here recommend, I've been using the SMC 555 balanced regulator, and what's everybody thought on rebuilding a regulator versus just replacing the whole unit.
I still prefer Paraplate BR5-2. They last 10 years or more, and I don't rebuild them because it seems like once they start to leak they won't hold a kit.

Adams 7075 and 7085 have been a problem for me. About one out of four will eventually quit working right and not hold the pressure like they should. It's a strange issue, if you start the bay with the trigger pulled the pressure is fine, but once you release and pull it again the pressure is a lot lower than it was set for. A kit sometimes fixes it permanently, sometimes it'll do it again after a few weeks or months. I'm not rebuilding them anymore (if that's what's already there) because I'm replacing them with the SMC 555. It's the last reliable, inexpensive regulator.

dozerman

Reaction score
Replace the tip with a new one, and make sure it's the correct size.

You could have a failed check valve letting pressure go back through something. The weep one is easiest to diagnose because your other bays will be weeping when the bay with weak pressure is running.

If the pump clatters really loud with the trigger pulled but is quiet with it released, you have a restriction on the water line to the pump, often a failed check valve.

If you go so far as to check the valves in the pump, look inside for any debris and suck on them to be sure they seat completely.
How do I figure the correct tip size?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Spraying Systems tips...

At 1,200 PSI:
#5.5 tip delivers 3.0 GPM
#6 tip delivers 3.2 GPM (most commonly used)
#6.5 tip delivers 3.5 GPM
#7 tip delivers 3.8 GPM

So, a Spraying Systems nozzle marked 1/8VVSS4006
is a 1/8" pipe thread/VVSS is nozzle type/40 is spray pattern/06 is tip size

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been using General Pump tips. They're half the cost with a hardened orifice insert, so they last much longer. The numbering system is the same.

dozerman

Reaction score
wound up being 1 broken o-ring on 1 poppet valve. Tried everything everybody suggested first, next step was to change seals but did not have to. Thanks everyone for the help

Randy

Reaction score
wound up being 1 broken o-ring on 1 poppet valve. Tried everything everybody suggested first, next step was to change seals but did not have to. Thanks everyone for the help
Thanks for coming back and sharing that information with us.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Just got my 2507 VeeJet nozzles from KR today, should they have that metal vane inside of them or not, mine didn't have any but my other Imegs always had them.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Veejets don't have the metal vane.