What's new

Lost keys to Medeco T-Handle Lock

Graffiti Wash

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. We recently bought a self-service car wash at 2007 Crows Landing Rd, Modesto, CA. The seller only gave us one key to a Medeco t-handle lock and our maintenance guy lost it. We are trying to figure out how to open it up and rekey it because we should have new equipment coming in the next few weeks and we need that bay operating before that. I'm attaching a picture of the lock.

This is our info:

Ricardo Gil Jr
(209) 910-4457
rgiljr@gilsre.com

Graffiti Wash Modesto
info@graffitiwashmodesto.com

I appreciate any advice I can get. Thank you.

Attachments

edredtop

Reaction score
Hope Randy has a neat trick (answer) for you!
Always remember, If it can happen it will happen, and would recommend you find spare lock(s) if possible to practice on and become familiar with drilling your own locks out.
Additionally, I would consider the layered approach to security such as a sacrificial steel plate and lock outside the block to slow down an attack and keep them away from the difficult stuff. The sacrificial obstacles slow them down and speed up your repairs.

Attachments

Keno

Reaction score
Hope Randy has a neat trick (answer) for you!
Always remember, If it can happen it will happen, and would recommend you find spare lock(s) if possible to practice on and become familiar with drilling your own locks out.
Additionally, I would consider the layered approach to security such as a sacrificial steel plate and lock outside the block to slow down an attack and keep them away from the difficult stuff. The sacrificial obstacles slow them down and speed up your repairs.
I like the idea of sacrificial steel plate and locks. We have the round safe head vaults with medeco plug locks. Any ideas on how we could implement your idea on something like that?

Etowah

edredtop

Reaction score
I like the idea of sacrificial steel plate and locks. We have the round safe head vaults with medeco plug locks. Any ideas on how we could implement your idea on something like that?
Similar. We use round Star safe heads with the combo dial.
This is one of the designs I came up with about 15 years ago and here it is today (ready for some fresh paint)
The most important aspect of any design is to take away attack angles whenever possible. Notice the keyhole on the disk lock points towards the block leaving no drill access. If you don't have a block wall for the lock and it's just a flat surface, you can bolt a chunk of steel next to it to accomplish the same goal of interfering with their drill/cut angles. Also, if you use this set up, drill a blank hole deep into the block so that when you raise it, you can pin it open with a screwdriver while you service the safe. One dropped unexpectedly on me once and smashed my fingertip pretty good. I consider them guillotine doors now and have a healthy respect for them. So far these have had a 100% success rate.

Attachments

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Although My Coleman Island Vaults have a plate cover, with the housing covering the Hockey Puck style lock I did something similar for the rond safe heads Took a head to a welding shop with a hocky puck lock keyed differently that what I use. The welded a square block of steel to the head for the lock to attach to and then with the lock attached welded a round piece of steel around where the lock is so in theory thieves could not put a wrench on the lock. That design could be improved on such as making a plate with the cover to go over the round cover but so far so good.

Keno

Reaction score
I may get a local welder fabricator to come out and make something with these ideas. I'm no where near that level of fabrication ability

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I may get a local welder fabricator to come out and make something with these ideas. I'm no where near that level of fabrication ability
You may want to check what they will charge for coming out versus going to them. Much easier for them to work at their shop with all available equipment and materials.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Take pictures, get good accurate measurements, and sketch what you want and take them to a fab shop. A good shop will be able to work from that. Accurate Measurements are critical!

Keno

Reaction score
You may want to check what they will charge for coming out versus going to them. Much easier for them to work at their shop with all available equipment and materials.
we don't have any extra safe heads, and don't want to leave those open for any extended period of time.
Take pictures, get good accurate measurements, and sketch what you want and take them to a fab shop. A good shop will be able to work from that. Accurate Measurements are critical!
this is probably the way I'll try it, but will eventually have to take the safe heads to get welded most probably, which will leave the safes open for some time

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
we don't have any extra safe heads, and don't want to leave those open for any extended period of time.
The shop gave me a one day turn around so the bays for that safe head were out of order for that day. When one was done I would bring in another. Maybe you can do it on a rainy day:)

HeyVern

Reaction score
this is probably the way I'll try it, but will eventually have to take the safe heads to get welded most probably, which will leave the safes open for some time
A lot of shops have portable welders, they can fabricate the parts at the shop and do the welding on site.