What's new

Losing sales due to Crypto Pay, possibly intentional fraud.

JaySingh

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So at our SS car wash in Phoenix we have Crypto Pay Swipers in all bays. Since we purchased the business, we noted a significant drop off in actual credit card sales in the evening or earlier. Typically around 3pm our credit card income would drop off.

We recently installed new cameras facing the bill meters and noted that people are using their credit cards or debit cards after 3pm, but when checking against crypto pay analytics those credit card "sales" were not being processed or reflected on our gross sales. We then went into the back end of World Pay IQ system and noted we have about a 15-20% average denial rate. I am not sure if the people coming to my wash at night are aware of their cards denying it or are actually good intention customers who have had their cards declined.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

To confirm, I went and tested the bays myself with a debit card with 0 balance and a locked credit card and I was able to get the bays running about 25% of the time.

Since then, I've called Crypto Pay and they said it was due to Grace Period and poor signal in some of my bays. I am now going to move the crytopay coordinator to another location and purchase an improved antenna that they recommended from Amazon.

Anyone else with other suggestions? If this doesn't work, was thinking of switching to Nayax.

STXCW

Reaction score
Sounds like you are losing your internet connection. If I'm not mistaken, if the signal to the coordinator is not getting to the swiper it should not accept the card at all. But I may be mistaken.

JaySingh

Reaction score
No our internet is solid. We have repeater wifi extenders on site and multiple cameras that we live stream without interruption of service.

Crypto Pay works off a repeater signals and they can see signal strength. Apparently some of our bays furthest from the coordinator have weak signal, which makes sense. But I was able to turn on all bays with in active or 0 balance cards.

Also, Crypto pay has a grace period on transactions. It will start the bays at times to no lose business or automatically decline cards if it can’t process them instantly. This feature could be turned off but it could lead to delays in starting the bays and driving customer satisfaction way down.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So at our SS car wash in Phoenix we have Crypto Pay Swipers in all bays. Since we purchased the business, we noted a significant drop off in actual credit card sales in the evening or earlier. Typically around 3pm our credit card income would drop off.

We recently installed new cameras facing the bill meters and noted that people are using their credit cards or debit cards after 3pm, but when checking against crypto pay analytics those credit card "sales" were not being processed or reflected on our gross sales. We then went into the back end of World Pay IQ system and noted we have about a 15-20% average denial rate. I am not sure if the people coming to my wash at night are aware of their cards denying it or are actually good intention customers who have had their cards declined.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

To confirm, I went and tested the bays myself with a debit card with 0 balance and a locked credit card and I was able to get the bays running about 25% of the time.

Since then, I've called Crypto Pay and they said it was due to Grace Period and poor signal in some of my bays. I am now going to move the crytopay coordinator to another location and purchase an improved antenna that they recommended from Amazon.

Anyone else with other suggestions? If this doesn't work, was thinking of switching to Nayax.
Jay, can you post the link to the antenna Crypto recommended?

STXCW

Reaction score
No our internet is solid. We have repeater wifi extenders on site and multiple cameras that we live stream without interruption of service.

Crypto Pay works off a repeater signals and they can see signal strength. Apparently some of our bays furthest from the coordinator have weak signal, which makes sense. But I was able to turn on all bays with in active or 0 balance cards.

Also, Crypto pay has a grace period on transactions. It will start the bays at times to no lose business or automatically decline cards if it can’t process them instantly. This feature could be turned off but it could lead to delays in starting the bays and driving customer satisfaction way down.
We have 28 coordinators installed servicing 128 bays and we don't have repeaters or extra antennas installed at any of them. Have you tried a new coordinator?

edredtop

Reaction score

I remember somebody here saying that each swiper talks to the next swiper until it finds a path to the coordinator.
Distance shouldn't matter if you have a good daisy-chain set up if that's a true statement.

JaySingh

Reaction score
Waterproof Dual Band WiFi 2.4GHz 5GHz 5.8GHz Outdoor 5dBi RP-SMA/SMA Male Antenna for Wireless Vedio Security Camera Surveillance Recorder Vehicle Truck Rear View Backup Camera Reversing Monitor https://a.co/d/9c2OFxg

Here is the link to the antenna Crypto Pay recommended.

We have a relatively new coordinator.

We are going to try the antenna first along with moving the coordinator away from the modem/wifi as the 5ghz bands can interfere supposedly. Also move it closer to the top of the equipment room and feed the antenna outside and mount it into one of our bays on the underside.

If the above fixes it we should see immediate jump in CC sales but will continue to monitor credit card sales. We think we are missing about 100dollars in sale per day because of this issue.

Keno

Reaction score
What is your pre-auth amount set at? If it's too low and still starts the bay, customers will find out and take advantage. There was a guy who was using a prepaid gift card locally that never had enough $, and was getting free washes for years before getting caught

OurTown

Reaction score
What is your pre-auth amount set at? If it's too low and still starts the bay, customers will find out and take advantage. There was a guy who was using a prepaid gift card locally that never had enough $, and was getting free washes for years before getting caught

This is definitely a flaw of Cryptopay and wish they had a solution. It would be nice if the system could recognize one of those pre paid cards and just not decline it.

JaySingh

Reaction score
Our Pre-Auth is set to 10 dollars.

I encourage everyone to track your bays with cameras and monitor CC swipes and then review your credit card transactions to make sure the same thing is not happening to you as well.

I am putting up the antenna on Wednesday and I'll report back.

Keno

Reaction score
Our Pre-Auth is set to 10 dollars.

I encourage everyone to track your bays with cameras and monitor CC swipes and then review your credit card transactions to make sure the same thing is not happening to you as well.

I am putting up the antenna on Wednesday and I'll report back.
What is your max limit on card? I would set pre-auth to that amount to eliminate that as a possibility of your troubles.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If the swiper is unable to contact the coordinator it will approve the purchase by default. Hopefully the new antenna will improve swiper connectivity and fix the problem.

Two weeks ago cryptopay updated my coordinators and within a few hours both stopped working with no apparent fix that could be done on my end. (lesson learned, have a spare coordinator) With no coordinator, the swipers would attempt to contact the coordinator but after 30 seconds or so would approve the transaction by default and activate the equipment. I borrowed a coordinator from a friend for my main site. It was about a week before I got a coordinator hooked back up at my secondary site. The day after I hooked backed up to the internet i checked virtual terminal and saw that I had 27 declined transactions during that time. Knowing how the system works that tells me that 27 people used their card at the wash that I won't get paid for. At my ticket average of $12 that's over $300. Next time, I'll have one shipped overnight if I have to.

Keno

Reaction score
If the swiper is unable to contact the coordinator it will approve the purchase by default...
This sounds like a recipe for disaster - especiallyin lower income markets. Is there not a way to do the opposite - Decline on no contact?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
This sounds like a recipe for disaster - especiallyin lower income markets. Is there not a way to do the opposite - Decline on no contact?
I think there is but I would have potentially lost a good bit of the legitimate sales which were about $2,500.

Etowah