What's new

losing prime

washman2016

Reaction score
One of my ss bays is having a strange problem. When the pump starts it take about 5 sec for the pump to come to full pressure. It then works fine until you release the handle. When the handle is pulled it takes 5 sec or so to get back to full pressure. Also the pump really chatters a lot when the handle is released. I have checked all the valves and all are in working order. I do not find any kind of leaks. Can the pressure regulator be the problem?

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
It sounds to me like its sucking air. Is there water dripping from under the pump manifold when it's running? That usually means a low pressure seal letting air in. If it's not in the pump itself, then check everything on the supply or bypass lines for a place that air can be getting pulled into the inlet side of the pump.

washman2016

Reaction score
It sounds to me like its sucking air. Is there water dripping from under the pump manifold when it's running? That usually means a low pressure seal letting air in. If it's not in the pump itself, then check everything on the supply or bypass lines for a place that air can be getting pulled into the inlet side of the pump.
Dry as a bone. Hoses and connections all look good. I agree sounds like its sucking air but wouldn't that happen when its at pressure as well?

washman2016

Reaction score
Update: I put pressure on the inlet water and found a split brass connection on the bypass hose. Replaced it and works great again. Thanks for the help