What's new

Losing city water pressure

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I recently added a second Softgloss. The original installers had not plumbed soft water to the auto at all and we corrected that when we put in the new one. As a result I think I lost a little water pressure. As long as only one machine is running it's fine but when both are running at the same time it's not acceptable pressure. The Softgloss just uses city pressure for most of it's functions. One option is obviously a booster pump for everything. Can they take that kind of use? Are there any other ways to boost my pressure? Room for a holding tank is a bit of an issue.
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
There's a booster system that uses a 3-phase motor driven pump and VF drive which takes up very little room. It only requires a 2.5 gallon expansion tank.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
There's a booster system that uses a 3-phase motor driven pump and VF drive which takes up very little room. It only requires a 2.5 gallon expansion tank.
Can you provide us with more info on that? A link perhaps? Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've only seen it in use, but I'll try to get the info from the operator who has it.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Can something like this take that kind of use? Running 2 autos?

See MEP001's link below.

Last edited by a moderator:

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I recently added a second Softgloss. The original installers had not plumbed soft water to the auto at all and we corrected that when we put in the new one. As a result I think I lost a little water pressure. As long as only one machine is running it's fine but when both are running at the same time it's not acceptable pressure. The Softgloss just uses city pressure for most of it's functions. One option is obviously a booster pump for everything. Can they take that kind of use? Are there any other ways to boost my pressure? Room for a holding tank is a bit of an issue.
Thanks
Jimmy

Back in 1987 we had water pressure problems. We checked into all the alternatives & we are sure glad we went the route of having the street dug up some for a new water main to the facility ... even though it got into the first part of December which tends to be dangerously cold at that time here in North Dakota.

Mike Walsh King Koin Bismarck

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
The forum truncates long links. Copying the link text always results in a bad link. The only way to get the full link is to click it and copy it from the address bar:

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-33288-dayton-5nxz9-booster-pump.aspx

I'd look into why you're losing pressure. Is it dropping from the city supply, or could your softener need some work?
How would you plumb this into the system? Would a bladder tank/pressure switch be used so it only comes on as needed?

MEP001

Reaction score
Either that or it could be connected to the machine and have it come on whenever it calls for water, it would just need a regulator to keep a consistent output pressure.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
You were doing fine and then added a second auto to your softener. Isn't it kind of obvious that your softener is undersized for the addition?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Either that or it could be connected to the machine and have it come on whenever it calls for water, it would just need a regulator to keep a consistent output pressure.
So water can flow thru these pumps without the pump running? You can "fire" the pump under certain conditions?

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I think ideally you'd want a check valve for the water to flow through when the pump is off which the pump would keep forced closed while it's running.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I think ideally you'd want a check valve for the water to flow through when the pump is off which the pump would keep forced closed while it's running.
I ran my wash for years with a set up like that. Tee off the main line in your equipment room to the booster pump and then back to the main line. Install a check valve in the main line just before where the booster line tees back in and another one just after the booster pump. Put a pressure switch to control the pump just after the check valve. The pump will only run when the water pressure drops low enough to trigger the switch. You will literally be sucking water from the city main into your building.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
You were doing fine and then added a second auto to your softener. Isn't it kind of obvious that your softener is undersized for the addition?
Before it was plumbed directly from the street to the 1 auto. When we added the second auto we plumbed both with soft water. I think we are losing some pressure through the softener. That seems logical to me.
I thought we could just put in a small tank with a float valve and use the booster to deliver out of that tank, much like with sfr. It just seems like a lot of work on the booster pump. I didn't know how much they can take.

MEP001

Reaction score
That would probably work, but it goes completely against logic to try to solve a problem by complicating the way it works instead of determining the actual cause of the problem to begin with.

Was the softener added with the second auto? Do you think it's too small? Or was it in service already and you just tapped into the supply? The media could be breaking down and restricting flow, which will only get worse.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Ghetto Wash has to be right.... check the through put on the softener? Also how big is your water main? Before I installed one water wizard I checked to see what size water main and gpm I needed. Two units use twice as much water.