What's new

Looking for dog wash advice.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on dog wash operations. I own a self serve and IBA car wash in Seattle. Very busy in city location with lots of apartments dwellers nearby. I also own an old closed up gas station nearby.

I am considering converting the old gas station into a dog wash. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking for advice on everything from design, HVAC, ventilation, wall and floor materials and equipment.

The equipment seems pretty straight forward with a Kleen Rite option, All Paws Pet Wash and Evolution Dog Wash. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Yes, many people are finding that highest and best use of former gas site is express wash (i.e. mini tunnel or in-bay express).

seattleguy

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. There is no room for that and the city zoning would not allow it. The gas station was a non conforming use and and substantial alteration would trigger complete code and zoning upgrades. Basically it is now zoned for mixed use (apartments over retail). I think a dog wash would require minimal alterations and be allowed. I am looking for a use for the property for about 10 years.

MEP001

Reaction score
The first thing to consider with a dog wash operation is whether there's a PetSmart nearby and if they offer what most of them do, which is for a $10 flat fee you can wash a dog with all shampoo products and towels provided. The second is that you will have to clean after almost every customer, so expect to have a full-time attendant.

seattleguy

Reaction score
There are no PetSmarts or any other box box stores anywhere near us. We have bougie doggie day cares on every other block. The cleaning part is what scares me.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Before dog wash, I might consider unmanned automated convenience store (drop ship kiosk) or contract postal unit (modular).

seattleguy

Reaction score
Can't do either. Both those uses would trigger a chance of use. Seattle has the nation's craziest anti business rules. There is also a convenience store next door and a new post office place opening a few blocks away.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
There are no PetSmarts or any other box box stores anywhere near us. We have bougie doggie day cares on every other block. The cleaning part is what scares me.
And it should. It'll need to be cleaned after each customer.

I have a dog wash. Luckily I have a great attendant that lives on site. If It wasn't for that, I'd probably close it as it requires too much attention.

NitroHouston

Reaction score
Here’s some advice I was given. How often do you want to be up at the car wash? If you’re going to be there fairly regularly, they go for it. This assumes some of the items mentioned above. If you don’t want to be there that often, then it’s probably not a good move.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I looked at it. It stores all the chemicals in the machine. The Kleen Rite version stores in them in the back like a self serve. I am planning 4- 6 washing stations and thought a consolidated equipment/chemical room would be easier. But not sure.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
If it was me personally I would want it in the backroom so I ain't having to work in a dirty dog hair stinking wet environment where it will be all over me and my tools. Just saying. I couldnt imagine laying down working in that this business is dirty enough. Something to think about

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
My dog wash has the soaps in the "headboard" of the tub. I have no issues with it and very little water/hair gets in there.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
My dog wash has the soaps in the "headboard" of the tub. I have no issues with it and very little water/hair gets in there.
Hey I like your idea for thinking outside the box of remodeling a C-store with something else. What about a laundrymat or leasing the store out or a smoke shop. In Seattle do you own the land and responsible for the tanks my family has had a great hassle of underground tanks and hassle at C-stores in nc even when there used for something else like a church and have to have a monitoring system that reports to the state and keep records

With lots of apartments I would think you would do well with laundrymat maybe ??

Dcalhoun

Reaction score
I pieced mine together using basic knowledge from car wash operation. Got the tub from a grooming supply place, coin box from car wash supply place, etc. Chemicals and dryer are in back room so dog wash area looks a bit more professional and easy to clean. Saved a couple thousand $ when compared to a packaged system like All Paws or KR. Very happy with the outcome, been washing dogs since 2007.

Get our shampoos etc from Chemquest, Hobo Inc.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I have to pull the tanks out in the next few years and then repave it. I plan on developing the site eventually into apartments and am looking for an interim use. There are a few laundromats in the area but most of the new apartments all have stack washers and driers.