What's new

Looking for concrete/floor heat information

slash007

Reaction score
I am considering ripping out my concrete and putting in new floor heat at one location. I'm confused about what depth concrete I need to get quoted. I think the floor heat loops sit about 2" under the surface, but I'm told I need 6-8" of concrete. How would that work, and how deep would I actually need to remove from the old and pour new?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
We’ve always spec 4” of 4000+ psi concrete on compacted base.
We install 1/2” O2 barrier PEX over 3” foam insulation (Crete-Heat). The contractor must lower the finished grade to accommodate the new finished floor elevation.
IMG_1461.jpg

Side note:
Concrete must have been really cheap in the late 70’s. This tear-out revealed upwards of 10” of concrete with black poly pipe directly on the dirt.
No wonder there were multiple cold spots.
IMG_0248.JPG IMG_0252.JPG

OurTown

Reaction score
We install 1/2” O2 barrier PEX over 3” foam insulation (Crete-Heat). The contractor must lower the finished grade to accommodate the new finished floor elevation.
View attachment 9431

Side note:
Concrete must have been really cheap in the late 70’s. This tear-out revealed upwards of 10” of concrete with black poly pipe directly on the dirt.
View attachment 9432 View attachment 9433

Have you ever replaced the floor on a wash with a monolithic slab foundation?

slash007

Reaction score
View attachment 9431

Side note:
View attachment 9432 View attachment 9433
So you are pouring 4" of concrete on top of the foam insulation? Not sure what you mean exactly by "lower the finished grade to accommodate to the new finished floor elevation"?

HeyVern

Reaction score
So you are pouring 4" of concrete on top of the foam insulation? Not sure what you mean exactly by "lower the finished grade to accommodate to the new finished floor elevation"?
The dirt has to be 4" lower to accommodate the extra 4" of insulation so that the finished floor isn't 4" too high.