What's new

Looking for advice

EZ car wash

Reaction score
As the owner of a self serve car wash and a 200 unit mini storage complex, I am looking to get into the detail business. I have a family member with very good detailing abilities and I am basically looking to set him up in business. I am wondering if anyone can give a ballpark figure for startup costs, as well as any other specific info that they think would be helpful. We live in a small town (about 2,700) with an equal additonal population in the imediate surrounding area. Any thoughts on building layout and size? I would be building the building, either at the car wash, storage facility or at an optional property located in the same area. All locations have good traffic flow given the town size.

soapy

Reaction score
You might want to try Bud at Detail Plus. He sets up details shops all over the world and is a frequent visitor here at the forum.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd set up a one man shop as 3 bays. My detail shop is 4 bays and is 28'x36'.

You can go low budget or whole hog. In a town of 2700 I'd lean towards cheap. Don't forget a nice waiting area. Mine is tiny but very nice, with lots of appeal to my Female clientele (fresh cut flowers, fruit plate, clean and neat, sparkling restroom, etc.).

Detailing is nice because once the building is in, you can equip for detailing and buy a small amount of chems and be in business.

The trick is running it like a business, like what Bud A always says. This involves all the things that make your carwash a success, plus more marketing/advertising. A system for detail completion is critical.

As tough as it may seem, I'd get a contract in writing with the detailer. What does he/she want and what do you want out of the deal?

Job burnout can be an issue for a one-man detail shop, so be aware of that. You don't want to be stuck with a nice new detail shop and no one doing detailing.