What's new

Looking for a simple way to deliver Low Pressure chemical using High Pressure pump

danj2

Reaction score
My local parts/soap supplier tells me that he has installed a setup at another wash that delivers the LP chemicals to the bay via the HP pumps and hose/wand, thus eliminating the need for secondary LP pumps and shortening delivery time.

He told me that he uses a solenoid as a bypass to decrease the pressure when LP function is selected. Other than that, he has been stingy with the details. I could probably plumb this in myself if someone could tell me how.

At this time, I only have tire cleaner that runs on one pump and bug/film that runs on another pump.

Remember, I am wanting to keep it as simple as possible. Although it sounds like the cat's meow, PLC's, VFD's and such are beyond my scope! Please type slowly so that I can understand what you are suggesting. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance.

MEP001

Reaction score
You already have it as simple as possible. I have yet to see a wash using the high pressure pump to deliver LP products that works reliably and efficiently. Hydrospray has a system that uses a single VF drive unit to deliver all LP functions to all bays and it seems to work well, but it's finicky and very expensive.

Kevin James

Reaction score
We are big believers in the KISS methodology. All that fancy equipment PLC’s, VFD’s, bypass lines, extra solenoid valves etc. are going to break and need to be replaced or serviced. All these fancy systems are great but when it comes right down to it, we are just washing cars.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
+ 1 ....There's really no easy way. You're still trying to push LP through a tiny nozzel. IMHO...Having a seperate foam gun is really the best way to deliver LP. I use a foam gun to deliver TF and PS. Similar pressures for both yield same results out of the gun. I feel you can only get good results with the larger tips, say 40-40, when running pressures lower than 80 psi. To get good results out of the hp gun, you have to run a lot higher pressure, then you waste chemicals...again, jmo...

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
+ 1 ....There's really no easy way. You're still trying to push LP through a tiny nozzel. IMHO...Having a seperate foam gun is really the best way to deliver LP. I use a foam gun to deliver TF and PS. Similar pressures for both yield same results out of the gun. I feel you can only get good results with the larger tips, say 40-40, when running pressures lower than 80 psi. To get good results out of the hp gun, you have to run a lot higher pressure, then you waste chemicals...again, jmo...
Thanks 2 Biz, Mep & others ... I never thought about the potential waste. The sellers/or users of such systems used too always play up the "simplicity" of such systems. First glance appearances apparently can be deceiving. On our low pressure items, our customers purposely let go of the trigger on our guns that are designed to allow bypass flow to continue out bypassing the actual tip ... flowing out from around the tip. They get better foaming action with the tire/motor & the presoak that way also. Probably better needed volume also like 2 Biz suggested. Those variable pressure guns are more expensive from Cat pumps & KR though; than the shut off style of guns that most self service operators use.

Etowah

danj2

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Keep that info coming!

Can someone tell me more about the preferred foam gun setup? Is it an air/chemical mixture, sent to bay with a FloJet like my FB? Do your foam guns mount on a boom, or just solid mount on bay wall with coil hose? Any special cold weather considerations?