What's new

Looking for a simple alarm system

bigjws

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a simple, no-frills alarm system still available? The only thing I need is one that will auto-alarm/disarm at set times (for example, arm itself at 11pm, disarm at 6am). It can be wired or wireless, but I don't have internet at this location..so a self contained one is fine. I just want a system that screams an alarm if a sensor is tripped...are any of these kind of systems still around or is everything internet connected, cloud based, yada yada yada..?

MEP001

Reaction score
More of a build-your-own system, I don't know if this one has the features you want but I know some of them did 30 years ago. You'll have to find the manual and see.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
There are some simple DIY Alarm systems that are cellular based. From what I have gathered you have to be careful to get a 4G system for the best coverage in the USA. Since the only time Voice or SMS minutes are used is for non frequent alarms ... it appears that https://www.truphone.com/consumer/sim/ with their no monthly (just prepaid minutes) might be the best fit.

As far as the "auto-alarm/disarm at set times (for example, arm itself at 11pm, disarm at 6am)" concern ... having the power supply on a simple low cost plug in "on & off" time clock may be a workaround for that needed consideration of the alarm system???

Last edited:

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I have a Honeywell/Ademco Vista alarm system, diy install.
I think it is quite simple, but I've been told it isnt so do some reading & decide for yourself. Its not "new therefore better", if you're wanting a "modern" system then this isnt for you. But if you really just want a commercial grade siren with the ability to add to it later, I'd recommend it.
Anyhow I find it to be very modular - add whatever features I want. Internet connectivity? optional. Remote/phone access? optional. Sirens? optional. Keyfobs? optional. Battery backup? optional. dial out to security company? optional. etc.
I dont know if you can automatically arm/disarm at specific times, I've never looked into that or thought about it. But if you want a straightforward, tried & tested system with simple arm/disarm & siren, seems to me the old standard honeywell security system is hard to beat. Afaik this is still the system that security companies are installing.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I think it is quite simple, but I've been told it isnt so do some reading & decide for yourself.
I was stupid enough to buy a few Honeywell components such as motion detectors without buying their main control. Mistake on my part. I had no idea that some companies unnecessarily complicate their sensors so they are less compatible with simple normally closed & normally open sensors. It seems like no matter the company ... thorough pre-verification is sometimes needed. Overly proprietary sensors can be a problem & increases the likelihood of the whole system becoming obsolete!

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
I was stupid enough to buy a few Honeywell components such as motion detectors without buying their main control. Mistake on my part. I had no idea that some companies unnecessarily complicate their sensors so they are less compatible with simple normally closed & normally open sensors. It seems like no matter the company ... thorough pre-verification is sometimes needed. Overly proprietary sensors can be a problem & increases the likelihood of the whole system becoming obsolete!
Do you not see how you still ended up blaming your mistake on the "overly proprietary sensors?" If you buy an alarm that uses simple open/close circuits, you just have to get the right peripherals. This has nothing to do with a system's obsoletion.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Do you not see how you still ended up blaming your mistake on the "overly proprietary sensors?" If you buy an alarm that uses simple open/close circuits, you just have to get the right peripherals. This has nothing to do with a system's obsoletion.
We made the two sensors work but it required unnecessary set up time IMHO to adapt to the specific alarm system that the two sensors wired up to. I thought I was kind backing up what Paul said about the "simplicity caveat" that he shared! Apparently not everyone appreciates my specific "actual experience" post. If an operator has an existing alarm system he or she does wants to avoid potential incompatibilities.

MEP001

Reaction score
You could be more helpful by saying "Some alarms use simple open/close circuits on their sensors while others use a proprietary communication, and I used X alarm with Y sensors that I had trouble making them work." Just like your claim of the alarm manufacturers, you unnecessarily complicate your descriptions instead of using simple and plain explanations. What are "overly proprietary sensors?" Seems like an oxymoron and is not helpful input. How would the "whole system become obsolete" because you purchased the wrong type of sensors?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been looking into this for a few days now, and there's very little still being made in the form of a simple wired entry alert system. Everything is wireless, "smart," monitored for a fee or it won't work, etc. There's some stuff still available here:

I've gone by a really old wash that had a super rudimentary alarm with a siren and a magnetic switch turned on and off by a key switch through the equipment room door.

bigjws

Reaction score
I think it is quite simple, but I've been told it isnt so do some reading & decide for yourself. Its not "new therefore better", if you're wanting a "modern" system then this isnt for you. But if you really just want a commercial grade siren with the ability to add to it later, I'd recommend it.
Anyhow I find it to be very modular - add whatever features I want. Internet connectivity? optional. Remote/phone access? optional. Sirens? optional. Keyfobs? optional. Battery backup? optional. dial out to security company? optional. etc.
I dont know if you can automatically arm/disarm at specific times, I've never looked into that or thought about it. But if you want a straightforward, tried & tested system with simple arm/disarm & siren, seems to me the old standard honeywell security system is hard to beat. Afaik this is still the system that security companies are installing.
this could be promising… Found this on Amazon, going to do some more research to see -https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X63T1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_idNCFbD3N2XZ9

MEP001

Reaction score
this could be promising… Found this on Amazon, going to do some more research to see -https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X63T1E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_btf_t1_idNCFbD3N2XZ9
I took a look at those systems, and it says something about telecom communication between the peripherals, which to me says it's not a simple open/close voltage switch. There's surprisingly little info out there about how these work, it's like you're either in the business and know the difference or you're not and you don't, and there's nothing shared.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Not sure about your timed arm/disarm requirement, but here's a link to X10.
I used X10 plug-in modules for home automation in 6 different homes...starting in the 1970s.
Can't vouch for them now but they were the "cat's meow" in the 20th century.

MEP001

Reaction score
I still have a bunch of those from Radio Shack along with the alarm clock size controller. I'm really surprised they still make them.

Etowah