What's new

Looking for a New System IBA

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Fascinating. Is it easy to work on a Flex5?
I have limited experience to compare it to other machines but it's not too bad. Biggest hassle to me is that I have a five brush machine (not very common option I understand) and the two extra brushes mounted on the gantry make it difficult to access the top of the machine where the hoses come in. At four years and 48K cars I haven't had to do a ton to it. I've replaced a contactor that burned up when I lost a phase and had the wheels replaced at around 30K, and that was much easier than my wizard wheel replacement. Getting ready to do some PM this week on belt changes, etc. So at this point the machine has grossed around 600K and my total repair/parts costs have probably been less than10K. Chemical costs are a fraction of that of a touch free unit, probably at least .50 per car cheaper so the math works out fine IMO.

Blanco

Reaction score
Can it handle bike racks? I'm guessing no, as I've only ever seen 1 friction machine that can survive those.
Are you going to leave us in suspense? What friction machine can handle bike racks? Id like to get feedback from actual owners of that machine.

Whacks

Reaction score
Are you going to leave us in suspense? What friction machine can handle bike racks? Id like to get feedback from actual owners of that machine.
Autec machines, those can survive almost anything. Under extreme load the side brushes will stop turning, I have never worked on one nor do I have much knowledge about them so I am not sure why.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I've always wondered how autecs with no top brush do on bugs and bird droppings. I briefly had a tunnel with a single mitter curtain and no top brush and those were a challenge.

OurTown

Reaction score
I've always wondered how autecs with no top brush do on bugs and bird droppings. I briefly had a tunnel with a single mitter curtain and no top brush and those were a challenge.

A couple of things that might make it better than a single mitter on a tunnel: The mitters are fore and aft motion (maybe yours was a side to side type?) and they go over the car twice. On the In-Bay-Express model there is a bug chemical sprayer that sprays the front that may help.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Bike Racks!!!! What friction system out there is safe with a bike rack "NONE" if so please show me a video, having owned both a Ryko SoftGloss and WashWorld Profile neither do well with aftermarket accessories I've seen, everything from ripped out brush sections to busted gearboxes and busted bearings. Yes Amp sensing is a plus but once those brushes get entangled....game over.

Whacks

Reaction score
Bike Racks!!!! What friction system out there is safe with a bike rack "NONE" if so please show me a video, having owned both a Ryko SoftGloss and WashWorld Profile neither do well with aftermarket accessories I've seen, everything from ripped out brush sections to busted gearboxes and busted bearings. Yes Amp sensing is a plus but once those brushes get entangled....game over.
Autec can survive bike racks, I found a video of a car going thru one with a bike rack on it. The brushes simply stall, here is the link.
soft touch begins around 3:19.

OurTown

Reaction score
Autec can survive bike racks, I found a video of a car going thru one with a bike rack on it. The brushes simply stall, here is the link.
soft touch begins around 3:19.

It looks like it may have torn out a piece of one of the brushes on that wash. The kid picked it up and said it was a souvenir. I hope that squeaking is a bearing going out and not from a lack of lubricating soap.

Whacks

Reaction score
It looks like it may have torn out a piece of one of the brushes on that wash. The kid picked it up and said it was a souvenir. I hope that squeaking is a bearing going out and not from a lack of lubricating soap.
Probably yeah. Better than the entire brush getting entangled, I'm sure Diamond can tell you from experience LOL (no offense)