What's new

Looking for a Great, Safe Tar Remover.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine (solvent based) recently went up alot in price. I want to buy in bulk and this is not an option at my current source.

Chemical Requirements for me personally:

1. Must be an excellent tar, wax and grease dissolver, requiring dwell time of 30 seconds-1 minute.

2. Must be safe for use on the whole car. I've heard some tar removers cannot be applied to painted plastic bodyside mouldings and I DO NOT want that!

3. Must be safe for some interior tar removal as well, from carpeting and plastic scuff plates.

Anybody have a favorite currently? What is your per gallon price in 55 gallon barrels?

I've heard Stoner's Tarminator is tops.

Anyone???

Thank you.:)

DavidM

Reaction score
I use Stoner's Tarminator. It meets all of your criteria and I haven't found anything better. It has been awhile since I have ordered so I do not know about the current price. One thing I do like is that Stoner will give you the 55 gallon price but ship in 11 5 gallon pails if you prefer. That works well for us.

David

soapy

Reaction score
I know the people who actually haul the hot tar use a orange peel based product to remove tar from their trucks. If you can find a asphalt supply company I bet they have the best stuff you can get. Just find out where they are getting their product and buy the same.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good idea. I'll ask the company that just tarred me new detail shop.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bulk Pricing vs. Aerosol pricing!!!

So, I can get a great and popular tar remover for about $9/gallon including shipping of the 55 gallon quantity. This is a good price, as my local supplier just went to $16+ per gallon.

I priced the same $9/gallon product in aerosol cans, 14 oz. each by the case of 12. The per gallon price this way is $24.56 per gallon! And I assume some of the aerosol is propellant, making the per gallon price even higher!

Etowah