What's new

Loitering

soapy

Reaction score
Seems like the disrespect I am seeing at the washes is increasing. I generally let people dry and detail their after a SS wash for a period of time if there are open bays and it is not real busy. Yesterday after a person was in a bay for 45 minutes drying their car we started to get busy so I kindly asked him to pull out so others could use the bay. After cleaning another bay I came back and he has not left and is just sitting there. and refused to exit the bay I ended up calling the cops and they arrived just as decided to leave. Ended up giving him a No Trespass order for a year. I also had to do this a month ago. First time in 30 years I have had to do this.

OurTown

Reaction score
We are seeing more entitlement issues but has been going on for several years. Mrs. Our Town thinks some of it stems from the leftover lawlessness of the pandemic times.

MEP001

Reaction score
I can choose a criminal trespass notice which is a year, or a criminal trespass warrant which is lifetime. If a person knows, they can refuse to ID for a warrant which makes it useless, so I'll push for a notice, then they have to provide ID. Pushing for a notice got one guy arrested and his car impounded because he had a warrant.

I've had to get police out at least a dozen times for people drying in the bays. All were white guys except for one Hispanic and one black.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
MY most successful tactic is to Say something like. "Please finish up and exit the bay in the next 5 minutes since people are waiting." People don't like being "Told" what they have to do.

soapy

Reaction score
Both of mine had no plates on their car and no temporary tags with illegal tint windows. I wish the police would have given them a ticket for those violation so it cost the something.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of mine had no plates on their car and no temporary tags with illegal tint windows. I wish the police would have given them a ticket for those violation so it cost the something.
Police let them drive away with no plates on vehicle? In MA, that gets your car towed.

MEP001

Reaction score
MY most successful tactic is to Say something like. "Please finish up and exit the bay in the next 5 minutes since people are waiting." People don't like being "Told" what they have to do.
I always ask first. "Would you mind pulling out of the bay to dry? There are people waiting for a bay." I am zero tolerance for any resistance to that.

soapy

Reaction score
I always asked kindly first a couple of times before I take it farther. I don't argue and then tell them I will call the police. I also tell them I would do the same for them if they were waiting and someone would not move.

FuturaFan

Reaction score
Seems like the disrespect I am seeing at the washes is increasing. I generally let people dry and detail their after a SS wash for a period of time if there are open bays and it is not real busy. Yesterday after a person was in a bay for 45 minutes drying their car we started to get busy so I kindly asked him to pull out so others could use the bay. After cleaning another bay I came back and he has not left and is just sitting there. and refused to exit the bay I ended up calling the cops and they arrived just as decided to leave. Ended up giving him a No Trespass order for a year. I also had to do this a month ago. First time in 30 years I have had to do this.
Boy have I got some stories for you. You wouldn’t believe. We’ve had people come from the kwik trip gas station down the road, just to get out and dry their car here. People have done oil changes, worked on their cars etc, in our bays. One person nearly took apart their entire car in one of our bays just recently.

Blanco

Reaction score
This is a wash I used to own. They got together every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. Thats just one camera angle. Parking lot was packed. I would have to park across the street if I wanted to leave before 3am. AND yes none of those people were spending money.

Attachments

Reactions: sjb

CleanMachine

Reaction score
This is a wash I used to own. They got together every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. Thats just one camera angle. Parking lot was packed. I would have to park across the street if I wanted to leave before 3am. AND yes none of those people were spending money.
OH, NO way I'm allowing this. This occurs at another car wash down the street.

traveler17

Reaction score
That is crazy, I have it but not to that extent. what’s Mexican town?

Randy

Reaction score
There’s a car wash operator here who got fed up with the people who would tie up a bay hand waxing, drying there car, sitting in the bay sleeping, homeless hanging out in the bay that he hooked up a water hose up in the attic next to the boom that he can turn remotely with his phone. He can control the water flow with his phone, sometimes he’ll make it drip and sometimes he’ll turn it on full blast so it comes out like a shower head.

traveler17

Reaction score
There’s a car wash operator here who got fed up with the people who would tie up a bay hand waxing, drying there car, sitting in the bay sleeping, homeless hanging out in the bay that he hooked up a water hose up in the attic next to the boom that he can turn remotely with his phone. He can control the water flow with his phone, sometimes he’ll make it drip and sometimes he’ll turn it on full blast so it comes out like a shower head.
Is that guy you speak of named Randy :)

Blanco

Reaction score
OH, NO way I'm allowing this. This occurs at another car wash down the street.
Sometimes you don't have a choice depending on the neighborhood. Theres Uzi's and AK's in probably most of those vehicles trunks. Police won't do anything because they can't and I sure as shit was not going to argue with 200 or so mostly armed individuals every weekend. I carried a 30rd compact AR in a backpack to work everyday. Sold that wash years ago after we got robbed for third time in the last year I had it. Sad thing was it was a money maker but all the BS made it a easy decision to get out.

I do really miss my tacos though🙁

Last edited:
Reactions: sjb

Blanco

Reaction score
That is crazy, I have it but not to that extent. what’s Mexican town?
Mexican Town is a neighborhood in Southwest Detroit. Population is probably 95% Mexican. I will say majority around 80% are the best, hard working and nicest people to deal with. The other 20% are involved in serious gangs that destroy the neighborhood and community.

sjb

Reaction score
Yep, always a fun part of the gig for all of us… dealing with deadbeats!

I say: Hey, can you do me a favor and dry/detail over there….

if they are bucket washing I say : it’s ok to bucket wash as long as the metter is running….

it’s our business policy and I hope you can understand…

8 out of 10 then go swipe their cards….

When I see the metter running, I sometimes give them a couple of tokens for a free vacuum on their next visit…

I would also suggest signage to support your biz policies…