What's new

Lockset recommendations

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good lockset and deadbolts, I know I can get something from Home Depot or Lowe's, but I'd rather have a better grade one than they carry which usually has an extra pin and anti-bump, and the deadbolts have a hardened pin through the bolts so you can't cut them with a hacksaw blade. I prefer a lever type over a knob. The most important thing is that it can be set to always locked when the door is shut.

6t7gto

Reaction score
Whenever I needed a higher security lockset...I went to the local locksmith store.

MEP001

Reaction score
Whenever I needed a higher security lockset...I went to the local locksmith store.
I checked, and it would be around $400 for a lockset and two deadbolts with one a double cylinder. I can't see spending more than half that if I buy it online. I would just get a Schlage set for under $100 but I want the knob to be always locked, not an option with household units.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I had a contractor do mine when he replaced the door. Nice feature because you always know your door is locked, however, I hate it. I like to keep it closed when it’s cold or I’m out behind the building, but I always find myself running in and out because I forgot a tool or I’m troubleshooting. So it’s a pain to keep pulling out the key, or decide to keep it open and let the heat out. Just letting you know what I go through.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Whatever lock set you end up with I would highly suggest installing a lock plate guard on the outside of the door.
It will cover the door lock and the deadbolt lock.
Mine are very thick with large bolts. The ones I see now look to be not as thick but it’s still deterant.

Stainless Steel Latch Guard Plate from Home Depot

MEP001

Reaction score
I had a contractor do mine when he replaced the door. Nice feature because you always know your door is locked, however, I hate it. I like to keep it closed when it’s cold or I’m out behind the building, but I always find myself running in and out because I forgot a tool or I’m troubleshooting. So it’s a pain to keep pulling out the key, or decide to keep it open and let the heat out. Just letting you know what I go through.
I considered a cypher or keypad lockset, but this place is in a not-so-great location and will likely bet tampered with. I might still do it later but I'll either have a secondary gate covering the whole door or a metal box to cover the keypad.

MEP001

Reaction score
Whatever lock set you end up with I would highly suggest installing a lock plate guard on the outside of the door.
It will cover the door lock and the deadbolt lock.
Mine are very thick with large bolts. The ones I see now look to be not as thick but it’s still deterant.

Stainless Steel Latch Guard Plate from Home Depot
I usually put a piece of heavy angle down the entire length of the door with holes to clear the lockset and deadbolts. This door opens in so I'll probably put one across the door as well to make it tougher to kick in. It may eventually get a gate completely covering the door, but I'll reinforce the roof first. It's just 22 ga. steel which I can cut with my Leatherman tool.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I usually put a piece of heavy angle down the entire length of the door with holes to clear the lockset and deadbolts. This door opens in so I'll probably put one across the door as well to make it tougher to kick in. It may eventually get a gate completely covering the door, but I'll reinforce the roof first. It's just 22 ga. steel which I can cut with my Leatherman tool.
I did all of those, because the thieves are so bad in this new town. Also just installe Lorex ip 4k HD cameras. I really hope all that keeps em out for a few years!
My next move is to put snipers on the roof.

Randy

Reaction score
If you want a quality commercial lockset you’re going to have to be willing to pay for that quality and they aren’t inexpensive. In our area we have to have an iron gate in front of the door that is alarmed. The last break-in on Feb. 3rd the guy spent 2 hours in a snow storm working on the door before he hooked it up to his truck and jerked it out, destroying the door. I can’t remember how many times I’ve replaced the door to the car wash, I’m getting pretty good at it now. The alarm went off and he then left, empty handed. He was arrested a couple days later, big deal he’s already out, he might get 30 days. We have an auto closure on our doors so when you walk out the door closes behind you and locks. Doors that open in are really easy to get into. All of our doors open out. I've got great 1080P video of the last 3 or 4 break-ins. The police tell me it's the best video in town, better than Walmart's video system and they still try to break-in. People are just plain stupid, can't or won't read the stickers or signs saying that everything is alarmed and your on video.

Last edited:

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
A couple personal experiences:
-- A friend who was handy with locks showed me how easy it was to "pick" locks - he had a dozen different ones open in less than 30 seconds each, including the front door & assorted locks at the wash. He showed me how to do it and I got a few basic locks open within a few minutes. Rather disconcerting. Home Depot locks, never again for me.

-- When someone literally kicked the ER door in at my wash 20+ years ago, I replaced the door and put in ASSA deadbolts - supposedly among the best out there. A couple years ago when I got robbed, they spent 1/2 hour on the assa deadbolts and couldnt get in. So they eventually had to literally cut the door (power tools) around the deadbolts to get in.

Very expensive, but worth it IMO, so thats what I have.

I have a "push bar" on the inside of the door so I can easily open from the inside when my hands are full of vending supplies. The outer door knob is the handle type that I can push down with my monkey dexterous foot when my hands are full. As opposed to a round knob. It does have an assa cylinder in it (key matched to the deadbolts) that I could lock from the inside so it would automatically lock the door when the door closes, but I generally dont use that. Yes I also put in an auto-door-closer which is quite handy.

slash007

Reaction score
I put in ASSA locks as well for the handle and deadbolt. Been very happy so far. They are super expensive though. I also welded a plate over the opening between the door and frame.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
. People are just plain stupid, can't or won't read the stickers or signs saying that everything is alarmed and your on video.
Since most break ins seem to happen when it's dark, perhaps even in a well lit area, I have considered motion sensing lights as a deterrent.
Who knows what the thought process is but if you approach and all of a sudden you are lit up I think it might deter you.

MEP001

Reaction score
Since most break ins seem to happen when it's dark, perhaps even in a well lit area, I have considered motion sensing lights as a deterrent.
Who knows what the thought process is but if you approach and all of a sudden you are lit up I think it might deter you.
That's what I would have thunk too, but in my experience they just ignore it.

MudMoney

Reaction score
Can't recall where i read it about the owner that put voltage to his ER door.I figured I would do the same using livestock electrical fencing.Gives a pretty good bite !

MEP001

Reaction score
Can't recall where i read it about the owner that put voltage to his ER door.I figured I would do the same using livestock electrical fencing.Gives a pretty good bite !
It would be difficult to impossible to do with livestock fencing. The metal door will be grounded and a person wearing rubber-soled shoes is not. A local operator got broken into recently, they pulled out a through-the-wall AC unit to get in. He's thinking about building a metal cage for it out of galvanized pipe and plumbing water to it in case someone takes a grinder to it.

I think what I'd really like is a lockset with a passive key you carry so the door unlocks when you get within five feet of it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
He's thinking about building a metal cage for it out of galvanized pipe and plumbing water to it in case someone takes a grinder to it.

I think what I'd really like is a lockset with a passive key you carry so the door unlocks when you get within five feet of it.
It seems like some brand new vehicles have some lock unlock systems that are kind of hidden embedded in the metal on the driver's side & activated by phone or by touching points in a code like way. A laundry customer was showing it off to me but ... he did not explain the details of it that well other than he really liked it.

I would like to see the look on the criminal's face on hi res video when pressurized water came out spraying out at him when he penetrated the door that far with his grinder.

MEP001

Reaction score
It seems like some brand new vehicles have some lock unlock systems that are kind of hidden embedded in the metal on the driver's side & activated by phone or by touching points in a code like way. A laundry customer was showing it off to me but ... he did not explain the details of it that well other than he really liked it.
It was either a Ford with the keyless entry code or he was screwing with you by touching the car in random places and unlocking the door with the remote fob in his pocket.

I would like to see the look on the criminal's face on hi res video when pressurized water came out spraying out at him when he penetrated the door that far with his grinder.
Protective cage around the A/C unit out of galvanized pipe...

Randy

Reaction score
Earl, that’s what I used to think, at night when it's dark. I’ve had my coin vaults drilled at 8:35am, I’ve had my door smashed in at 11:50am, I’ve had my non-pickable locks picked at 1:15pm, they spent 2 hours working the locks until they got in only to set off the alarm, grab what they can and leave. All of these incidents happen while customer were on site. If they want to get in bad enough, they are going to get in, period.