What's new

Locked out of my standard changer...help

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
One of the bolts on the locks on my changer must have misthreaded and I can't even turn my hex key at all. I actually even snapped the hex key in half trying. How can I get it open?
I was thinking about trying to drill the screw head off, any suggestions?
I called standard and they said I should use a grinder and cut the actual changer....I don't really want to do that.

Please help.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would try drilling the screw head off first. Another option, if accessible you may be able to have someone weld a hex key or a bolt to it. The heat may help break it loose too. If you manage to get something attatched you could also try an impact wrench. Sometimes the hammering will break a stuck bolt loose. All that being said, I think you will get into it by drilling or grinding the bolt off with a Dremel type tool.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
When that happened to me I did have to cut into it from the side used a torch to cut off head and then welded a patch over my hole. It was ugly.

Wally

Reaction score
I wouldn`t destroy the head until I tried another wrench. Put the hex wrench in and grip it on the shaft with a pipe wrench and not the turned out portion that will snap off.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
Buy an allen wrench that is in a socket. I am not sure if I would try the impact, as this could break the welds on the nut.

Wally

Reaction score
One of the bolts on the locks on my changer must have misthreaded and I can't even turn my hex key at all. I actually even snapped the hex key in half trying. How can I get it open?
I was thinking about trying to drill the screw head off, any suggestions?
I called standard and they said I should use a grinder and cut the actual changer....I don't really want to do that.

Please help.
Just wondering what you did to get into the changer