What's new

Lock stuck in paystation

APW

Reaction score
One of my medeco locks is stuck in my unitec wash select. Key goes in fine but the lock will not turn. Anybody have any helpful hints?

MEP001

Reaction score
Could be some grit caught in it. WD-40 and lots of wiggling usually does it. Don't force it. I used to service a wash with Hamilton CC reader boxes in the bays and they'd get stuck after not being opened for years. Sometimes rapping on the key with a plastic screwdriver handle was needed to get them loose.

Roz

Reaction score
Could be some grit caught in it. WD-40 and lots of wiggling usually does it. Don't force it. I used to service a wash with Hamilton CC reader boxes in the bays and they'd get stuck after not being opened for years. Sometimes rapping on the key with a plastic screwdriver handle was needed to get them loose.
We use WD40 on our locks once a month to keep them working effortlessly.

Reactions: APW

MEP001

Reaction score
We use WD40 on our locks once a month to keep them working effortlessly.
Locksmiths tell you not to use WD-40. I say tell me of something that works better in a car wash environment. They never have an answer.

OurTown

Reaction score
You could also try Houdini lock lube. It is thinner than WD-40 so it may get in there quicker/easier. I had a similar situation: The plug lock would remove and reinstall but I could not get the key back out. I think WD-40 might be better for preventative maintenance though because it repels water. (Water Displacement 40)

Eric H

Reaction score
I use food grade silicone lubricant. It repels water and provides lubrication without attracting dirt. WD-40 isn’t technically a lubricant and I find it attracts grit and dirt.
I agree with rapping on the end of the key with a screwdriver. Sometimes I’ve put some vise grips on the key at a 90 degree angle and used a little light pressure to turn the key while tapping on the key. It seems to bounce everything and get the long pin to move out of the keyway.

mac

Reaction score
If any of you ever have to drill out a plug lock it will be much easier if you just call a locksmith. Been there. Done that.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got it out! My wife accidentally switched one of the change machine locks with one in the paystation. Needless to say I will spank her when I get home tonight.
I ALMOST replied "...try using the right key" but I'm trying to be less 'smartassy'.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
We all do goofy things like that. Believe it or not, I actually made a mistake this past weekend. A granddaughter turned 12 and for her birthday, all she wanted was to have her friends over and party/sleep in the RV. Of course I agreed, since I give her anything she wants. I moved it to the desired spot and proceeded to get it ready for them. I had kept it plugged in to power so the batteries would be charged whenever needed...they were dead. After getting some charge in them I moved it to where I wanted. The heat wouldn't work. I messed with that a bit and finally realized that the weak batteries were the cause. I then went to extend the slideouts...nothing. I screwed around with them for a couple of hours (time I really didn't have to spare), checking this and that...no dice. I was getting a bit panicky, because her friends were going to be arriving soon. After going through the manual and learning nothing, I wondered to myself "Self, I wonder if the parking brake needs to be set?". I'm guessing you all have figured out how that worked out.

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
Locksmiths tell you not to use WD-40. I say tell me of something that works better in a car wash environment. They never have an answer.
Our locksmith told us to use the Houdini also. It's a silicone spray. Works great. We use it frequently in our vac locks.

Reactions: APW

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Ive been using Houdini too. I bought it at Lowes I think. Seems to work well.

I've also used SiliKroil penetrant with good results. It's kroil with silicone spray added.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If any of you ever have to drill out a plug lock it will be much easier if you just call a locksmith. Been there. Done that.
"Master Randy" taught me how. Did 4. 10 minutes each with the right knowledge and tool. Probably could be done faster but I was being careful not to damage the housing. Scary easy.

MEP001

Reaction score
Did 4. 10 minutes each with the right knowledge and tool. Probably could be done faster but I was being careful not to damage the housing. Scary easy.
I have it down to about three minutes.