What's new

Lock for equipment room

fastlx

Reaction score
What options are out there for a system to make sure the door to the equipment room is fully closed and locked? I looked at the smart locks and I guess they can lock but maybe the door isn't shut fully and they will still move the lock? I need a system to tell me remotely the door is fully closed and locked. All ideas are appreciated....

Thanks...

APW

Reaction score
My alarm system tells me when my door is open or shut and will only arm if the door is shut.

MC3033

Reaction score
What options are out there for a system to make sure the door to the equipment room is fully closed and locked? I looked at the smart locks and I guess they can lock but maybe the door isn't shut fully and they will still move the lock? I need a system to tell me remotely the door is fully closed and locked. All ideas are appreciated....

Thanks...
quite a few smart home systems out there like Ring that can do the trick assuming you can have WiFi available. Just simple contact sensors like other alarm systems. Ring for example would be around $200 (it’s a kit so you would have extra stuff) but I’m sure you can find something cheaper if you poke around amazon

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
After a recent incident a couple weeks ago I won't go without Ring any more. Monitoring is only $100 per year and it stopped a burglary in it's tracks. The perp got through my metal door with deadbolt in about three minutes. As soon as he walked in he heard the ring system counting down. He turned around and left without taking a thing.

In the past I had some car washes in rough areas where you couldn't leave the door unlocked literally while you were there working. I've had teams of two people work together. One would attempt to distract me while the other would look for things to pick up inside the equipment room. I've used some entry control systems that use electromagnets to keep the door secure. Its great when you're working there because you don't have to get out a key to get in if you're opening the door fifty times a day.. I think this system and a ring system would be a pretty easy way to provide a decent level of security. Add a wyze cam for visual confirmation if you like.

Roz

Reaction score
Schlage Engage We use them and I receive a text each time the door is unlocked or locked. Also Useful to check the workers eTime cards for accuracy and to know if place is locked.

Bricks

Reaction score

Thanks...
I put a camera in last week because I worried that I’d forget to lock the door, or there’d be a break in. It has moisture in the lens that I didn’t notice until it was already installed. It still serves it’s purpose. 084283DB-F949-44CC-AAE5-5575AD1BAF4A.jpeg

APW

Reaction score
Schlage Engage We use them and I receive a text each time the door is unlocked or locked. Also Useful to check the workers eTime cards for accuracy and to know if place is locked.
I installed the same one at my new wash which is an hour and 15 minutes away. I figured in case of emergency I could open the door remotely.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
My first thought is a remote control gun, but that would cause more hassel, but a remote dump of a can of red paint or pit mud would be at least some solace if someone is messing around , give them a mess to deal with!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
A quick internet search shows over $500 for those specific Schlage. Maybe out of budget for some? On the other hand the most durable basic non electronic Schlage locks we get from local locksmiths were &/or are over $100 if I remember right.

MEP001

Reaction score
What options are out there for a system to make sure the door to the equipment room is fully closed and locked?
On the other hand the most durable basic non electronic Schlage locks we get from local locksmiths were &/or are over $100 if I remember right.
Explain how that is supposed to help the original post.

fastlx

Reaction score
i got something off Amazon to just try to see if it will work.. I have wifi at the wash so I just want to be alerted if the door is left open for "blank amount" of time etc.... Thanks everyone. Only one time in 5 years where someone forgot to lock the door....

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
i got something off Amazon to just try to see if it will work.. I have wifi at the wash so I just want to be alerted if the door is left open for "blank amount" of time etc.... Thanks everyone. Only one time in 5 years where someone forgot to lock the door....
I was thinking the same thing along with possibly a motion detector that could be bypassed when known times of in & out by owner &/or staff. My previous post just wanted to touch on the affordability of the variety of ways to accomplish the alert danger of a door being open with an inappropriate time frame. IMHO ... it could make for a possible very low cost but hopefully reliable Arduino Project.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd recommend an auto-closer on the door and a main knob that cannot be left unlocked, plus instructions that the door never be left propped open. I had an employee for a while who would forget to lock the deadbolts at least a couple times a month. It would be simple to stick an alarm sensor to the inside lock lever to tell if the door is locked or not - if not on the alarm, at least a light triggered through it to be seen by a camera in the ER.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score

Thanks...
Wyze offers inexpensive wireless door contacts with status notification - internet required. That will tell you after the fact status. How about installing an automatic closure mechanism?