What's new

Local charity using my wash for fundraiser

gsgriffin

Reaction score
I own a two bay automatic, and I have given approval to a local charity to use my wash for a fundraising event.

I am still ironing out details, and would love your input.

I am going to give the charity a certain $ amount per car that is washed.

In addition, I am going to allow the charity to dry the cars as they come out of the automatic bay for tips. I will show them and instruct them on proper procedures for this.

In addition, I was considering allowing the charity to use my vaccuums and maybe even some of my vending supplies.

What issues will I run into?
Any pointers/tips?

GSG

Red Baron

Reaction score
Mine did not go well. I let them use a SS bay for free and found they were catching customers trying to enter my IBA and trying to recruit them to "their bay." Granted, I could do it different than I did but I'll never do it again.

MEP001

Reaction score
One Saturday we donated all income during a three-hour period from the auto bay to a charity. The original plan was to just let them dry the cars, but of course some old woman expected a vacuum too. I didn't like the idea of letting them into people's cars, but it went ok.

I had planned last year to work with Blue Santa and give out some tokens in exchange for toy donations, but I didn't get started on it in time. I still like the idea; kids get something, customers get something, we get something, and there's no risk involved as far as underage kids getting hurt washing cars on your property.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I have had mixed results. Once, the girls club came and I allowed them the use of two self serve bays. They did not advertising and only got a few of my customers. It did not work out well for me or them.

Another time, I had high school cheerleaders. They had let people know and they were allowed the use of two self serve bays. They made considerable money and kept both bays full for 4 hours. Yes, they ended up with a few of my customers, but the goodwill was worth it. I still see their parents at my wash and the cheerleaders too.

My friend had cheerleaders at his wash too. He also gave them some automatic tokens to sell and keep half of the revenue. They kept it all. Oh well, not a big deal since he only gave them a few at a time. I don't think he gives them automatic tokens to sell any more.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about prepaid sales using tokennotes/tokens?

I'm planning one and will likely do a 60/40 split of gross for the day. Easy enough.

They can towel dry and sell cookies as long as I get mine for free.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I just finalized arrangements with our local high school band who have been planning fundraisers for a trip to march in the 2011 London New Years Day parade. I had 1,000 wash cards printed up with 2 of our top IBA washes on each of them. They will sell for full face value and I will donate 50% of the money to the band. They are very excited about this opportunity to make $10K and I will hopefully capture some very good PR, and some new customers who appreciate our supporting the local high school. I'm in a very competitive environment with this particular wash and hope that this is money well spent.

I see the benefit of this kind of arrangement as it potentially gets new customers to our wash, introduces them to our wash card customer loyalty program, we avoid any onsite fundraisers with the potential liability issues, and we create a lot of goodwill in the community.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited:

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I just finalized arrangements with our local high school band who have been planning fundraisers for a trip to march in the 2011 London New Years Day parade. I had 1,000 wash cards printed up with 2 of our top IBA washes on each of them. They will sell for full face value and I will donate 50% of the money to the band. They are very excited about this opportunity to make $10K and I will hopefully capture some very good PR, and some new customers who appreciate our supporting the local high school. I'm in a very competitive environment with this particular wash and hope that this is money well spent.

I see the benefit of this kind of arrangement as it potentially gets new customers to our wash, introduces them to our wash card customer loyalty program, we avoid any onsite fundraisers with the potential liability issues, and we create a lot of goodwill in the community.

I'll let you know how it works out.
So are they giving you your $10k up front??? What if they never give you your $10k? Are you going to sue the school band? Seems like a real risk. Especially since I have had a few friends that have done fundraisers like this and ended up not getting their money. What about the lost cards and the high schoolers who take them and never bring any money back. Can you imagine the bad PR if it doesn't work out well for everyone?

Let us know how it works out

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
A while back I got involved with a high school girl group wanting to do a charity wash. We agreed to sell my tokenotes at face value and then split the money 50/50. Long story short…never got a dime and was out 500 tokenotes. This left a lasting impression and I never tried a charity wash again.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
A while back I got involved with a high school girl group wanting to do a charity wash. We agreed to sell my tokenotes at face value and then split the money 50/50. Long story short…never got a dime and was out 500 tokenotes. This left a lasting impression and I never tried a charity wash again.
Exactly. That is what I was saying. And I bet you lost business because none of the people involved in with the charity ever showed their faces around your car wash again. Turns a goodwill effort into a loser.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Lisa has a brilliant program that will allow kids to make significant amounts of money. Unfortunately it requires a little effort on the part of the kids. So far there has not been anyone here willing to put forth that effort. Kind of sad really...

lag

Reaction score
we have a system set up ,that the group sells a wash code for $25.00. They collect the money then return ,and we issue the codes. They then take the code to the customer. They keep their share ,and pay us a set price for the code. The last group raised around $1200.00.

They usually are selling multiple items , and the wash code is one that the person can choose. We never give the codes up front.

I have thought about letting them sell on site,but never have.

PEI

Reaction score
We offer two different fund raisers that can be done seperately or together.

1. The group purchases our top wash for half price and then sales codes or tokenotes for that wash at full price. They recoup their money and can double it if they sell all the washes. If not we will buy back any unused codes or tokenotes that they return to us.

2. The group selects one of our fundraising weeks and promotes that week in the community. We require that they provide signs for the week and that they advertise in one of the free mediums available to them. Then they must have representatives at the carwash from 10am-2pm on Saturday to thank customers for supporting them. We give them $1 for every car that washes in that week.

The first option usually returns $500. The second option usually generates $700. Most groups only do the second option. The best group so far generated $1,500 in one week.

We have a brochure that details everything the group needs to do, we do require that they accept a dress code and meet certain standards to participate.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Promised that I would update you on the results of my charity coupon sale for the local high school marching band. We printed up 1,000 tickets with 2 - $10 washes on them. They sold for face value and I was to donate 50% of the proceeds back to the band.
The fundraising committee chair updated me last week that they distributed 450 of the cards and in the first wave of collections, have $7860 in sales. So they will make a cool $3930. We are going to have a press release with me handing over the proceeds to the drum majors on a big 3'x 5' check. They've asked to keep the remaining cards, and figure that once this hits the local papers, others will be calling in to buy the cards.
I'm not going to be able to offer 50% commission very often, but since this was the school I graduated from, I felt it was worth while and would give our new wash location some needed positive PR.
You guys scared the bejezus out of me when you were talking about fund raising debacles where no money was ever turned back in. Thank god I had an honest team of parents to work with on this project.

ScottV

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'm not going to be able to offer 50% commission very often, but since this was the school I graduated from, I felt it was worth while and would give our new wash location some needed positive PR.
ScottV
You may do a lot better than 50% margin. Check your redemption rate. Many may never get redeemed.

Now, figure the PR value for whatever your net out of pocket cost is.

It may be a very wise investment.

teamplex65

Reaction score
Nice job Scott, that is very encouraging to those os us trying to do these. How many band members were selling the tickets?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
If you have any charity using your wash I suggest you call your insurance agent before you allow it. Make sure you have full coverage for anyone getting hurt or damage to a customers car.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have done several fund raisers this year at my EE. I give 50% of total business that we do during the fund raiser. The group markets the event and supplies the people to do the drying. We usually dont towel dry. I supply everything needed including collection buckets, towels and such. Anything that they collect is turned over to the wash so that 1 check can be written for the event. My hope is that I pick up a few new customers that have never been into the wash before, and Charity events are always good pr. of course that is all only my opinion. So its worth what you paid for it!!!!!