What's new

Little Trees

washnvac

Reaction score
Black Ice out sells everyting for me--at 4 locations. Everytime I order from KR, I order 6 or 8 BI and 1 each of other flavors. It is pretty unbelievable how well it sells. I have folks buying 3 and 4 at a time.

I went in AutoZone the other day, and they sell all their trees for $3.99. They are packaged just like ours, and they did have black ice. I am thinking of raising from $1 to maybe $2.

What is everyone else selling trees for?

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
We sell trees for a dollar but it almost doesn't seem worth it. I wonder how much volume would drop off if I raised them to $2?

Black Ice is our top seller as well. Funny thing is, I think it smells horrible. Smells like a cab driver bathed in Polo cologne. I can't tell you how many people I see buy it, open it up, smell it and then throw it away. Its like they see everyone else rockin the Black Ice and figure they better as well.

After Black Ice, Wild Cherry is the closest second. Then Baby Powder and after that its pretty weak. Vanilla sells, Lavendar and New Car sell a bit.

Two that I tried that didn't sell at all are Leather & Pine.

My newest test is the Cotton Candy. Its probably the only one I've really liked and its selling a bit so far.

Randy

Reaction score
A $1 each, Biggest seller is Black Ice, Stars and Stripe, New Car, Pina Colada and Wild Cherry

All of our vending as dropped off at least 40% in the last 2 years.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I think KR publishes the best sellers in order in some of their newsletters. Also, I know it's not a air freshener but a surprisingly good seller has been my Sham Wow's that I put in my vending machine. I vend at $2.50 cost a $1.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I think KR publishes the best sellers in order in some of their newsletters. Also, I know it's not a air freshener but a surprisingly good seller has been my Sham Wow's that I put in my vending machine. I vend at $2.50 cost a $1.
Where did you find Sham Wows for $1? I purchased some samples to try, but could only find them for 3-4 times that amount.

As far as tree scents........... 1/2 my business is Black Ice, 1/4 is New Car, the other 1/4 is 14 other scents.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
Buzz,
We're selling the 'sham wows' as well. We're only getting $2 for them but they are selling well. Have you actually tried them? I don't think they work very well, I'd rather have a paper blu sham.

Actually, now that I think about, about half of the stuff we sell works like garbage. A lot of it comes down to packaging. Junky products with slick packaging may or may not sell, but a good product with poor packaging is a loser. One of my favorite products is the Simoniz Glove Box Travel Wipes. They are like wet wipes, but, they'll actually clean all kinds of stuff like grease etc. Unfortunately you can't give them away and I think it all has to do with the stupid picture on the package.

Last edited:

Buzzie8

Reaction score
It's funny that you mention that they don't work well. Just this week I had a customer tell me exactly that. I assumed that because his wasn't wet yet. It wasn't working (much like a pigskin shammee). I will need to try one and see what I think. Question is... do you still try and sell it if it is crap? Not sure if any towels I vend work all that well. I am an old pigskin shammee guy and yes you are correct the packaging (as well as branding) is everything.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
I say if it sells, sell it...crap or not. If I didn't sell things that were crappy or that I don't like, my vendor would be pretty bare. I personally don't like shammys, even real 'good' ones, but a lot of people do. Same goes for the little trees, the universal best seller Black ice makes me gag.

Last edited:
Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
GoBuckeyes said:
One of my favorite products is the Simoniz Glove Box Travel Wipes. They are like wet wipes, but, they'll actually clean all kinds of stuff like grease etc. Unfortunately you can't give them away and I think it all has to do with the stupid picture on the package.
I like them too, though I'd like to see 12 larger wipes in the pack instead of the 20 tiny ones. They don't sell well, but it's not bad - I have the cleaning wipes and not the travel wipes.

I only vend New Car trees, and they move well. People often drive up just to buy one and leave. For what it's worth, I replaced the slowest-moving fragrance in the frag/vacs with Black Ice, and it's being used quite a bit.

jprb

Reaction score
Black Ice is our top selling little tree. New car, pina colada, strawberry kiwi, and wild cherry do well also. Black ice outsells the others 3 or 4 to 1. I have been suprised how well the Yankee Candle hanging air freshners have been selling at $3.00 ea. I think that women recognize the brand.

JPRB

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
Black Ice is our top selling little tree. New car, pina colada, strawberry kiwi, and wild cherry do well also. Black ice outsells the others 3 or 4 to 1. I have been suprised how well the Yankee Candle hanging air freshners have been selling at $3.00 ea. I think that women recognize the brand.

JPRB
I've been wanting go try the Yankee Candles but I must be missing something? Which ones are you selling? Kleen right sells the single hanging gel fresheners for 10 for $28. At $2.80 each plus shipping I'd have to sell them for $5 to be happy.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Black ICE, Nu Car, Vanilla Pride, Cherry.

The Quik Dry glass cleaner mini-spray bottle w/ surgical towel included is a great product and for $2 the customer gets something that will actually get the glass clean on their car!

Some days I think I could put 1/3 Black Ice trees, 1/3 Armorall original and 1/3 glass cleaner and do really well!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
...The Quik Dry glass cleaner mini-spray bottle w/ surgical towel included is a great product and for $2 the customer gets something that will actually get the glass clean on their car!...
I've been looking for a glass cleaner that actually works, just hadn't tried the Quick Dry bottle and towel. I've have to give it a whirl. All the other ones just seem to make more of a mess of the window than it was before the customer started with it.

Thanks!

Oh, as for little trees...which is the thread conversation....black ice, new car and vanilla are my best sellers. I agree, could probably get rid of all the other scents and just have more rows of the best sellers.

Etowah

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
My best seller is Pina Colada, then New Car Scent....Watermelon is third and I have been looking high and low for "fried chicken" and "Cold Beer"...think if I could bundle the Cold Beer, Watermelon and Fried Chicken together it could be HUGE.:D

mjc3333

Reaction score
I have 30 different "trees" at each site. Each site sells at a different rate. I have tried them ALL, every single scent Little Tree makes. Peppermint seems to be the best with Black Ice in second. With 30 different trees I have not had a customer every ask for a tree that is not available. If a customer wants an air freshener, they always come away with the one they actually want. There is never a time a customer walks up to the vendor and walks away without something.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score