What's new

Lipstick on a Pig (Car Wash Face Lift Stories)

Dick Nitro

Reaction score
I’m fishing out people who’ve renovated washes and were surprised or impressed by increased customer volume due to aesthetic improvements. Paint, lighting, branding, decals, pavement, e.t.c.

Please give me your brief story and then any feedback from customers (and your pocketbook) that surprised you on how “lipstick on a pig” made a big difference.

Thanks!

washnshine

Reaction score
I’m fishing out people who’ve renovated washes and were surprised or impressed by increased customer volume due to aesthetic improvements. Paint, lighting, branding, decals, pavement, e.t.c.

Please give me your brief story and then any feedback from customers (and your pocketbook) that surprised you on how “lipstick on a pig” made a big difference.

Thanks!
I don’t necessarily look at cosmetic changes as lipstick on a pig. Many washes are rock solid in the equipment room- good pumps, water heaters, compressors, solenoids and valves are working. Might even have good quality chemicals. But if the bay is not aesthetically inviting - that won’t matter. Much like if you have a beautiful new bay with all cold water, thin, non foaming soaps and cheap waxes and unreliable meter boxes.
You need both ends of your operation to work well and be optimized - and if any part of it is left a “pig” , then you will not be maximizing your potential for the wash.

Dick Nitro

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily look at cosmetic changes as lipstick on a pig. Many washes are rock solid in the equipment room- good pumps, water heaters, compressors, solenoids and valves are working. Might even have good quality chemicals. But if the bay is not aesthetically inviting - that won’t matter. Much like if you have a beautiful new bay with all cold water, thin, non foaming soaps and cheap waxes and unreliable meter boxes.
You need both ends of your operation to work well and be optimized - and if any part of it is left a “pig” , then you will not be maximizing your potential for the wash.
Yes I understand. Maybe I regret the wording a bit… I took “lipstick on a pig” from dialogue in a different thread so without that context, it may sound a bit cheap.

regarding the water temp and chemical delivery, have you ever had customer feedback or an experience really stressed their importance?

washnshine

Reaction score
Yes I understand. Maybe I regret the wording a bit… I took “lipstick on a pig” from dialogue in a different thread so without that context, it may sound a bit cheap.

regarding the water temp and chemical delivery, have you ever had customer feedback or an experience really stressed their importance?
I’m in Western NY and I have probably 100 people each year who , when they see me, tell me they appreciate the hot water we use. Especially in the winter. Our winters at anywhere from 20°- 40°give or take, so the salt, snow and dirt comes off very well with good chemicals and hot water. They also appreciate the high foaming and good scented chemicals that clean and shine their cars. Not every wash has that around me and it is noticed.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you take over a wash where things are not functioning as they should, and you correct all functions you need to make a visual change as well to attract people so they see things have been improved.