What's new

Lighting questions

bert79

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm about to order new LED lights for the finishing stages of our refurb project of a 3+1. I know people on this forum have more experience with lighting than do I. I'm simply asking for some help/guidance. I really like what I see from Hyperikon. Amazon seems to have some really great prices and with two day shipping I'm not sure I can find a better deal. The reviews of Hyperikon on here and on Amazon are excellent. Anyway, I'm replacing all the lights around the wash except in the equipment room. 8 bay wall packs, two shoebox lights above the vac islands, 3 wall packs to light the rear and side of the wash (vacs are in front), and a light above the vending/changer area. I'm looking for help with what kind of lumens/watts/kelvins people are happy with? I'm thinking that 60-70 watts may be good for the bay wall packs but have no idea about lumens or kelvin. I know that kelvin refers to the color of the light so I'm wondering what people have that they are happy with? How many lumens/watts/kelvins are you using in the bays, above the vac islands and to cover your exit/entrance? Thank you for your time.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen these at a wash:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPMBNQ...K2&pd_rd_r=8KXRWFTH1EW8QZGM3HJ6&pd_rd_w=Koi7y

For such low wattage compared to the 340 watt metal halides that were there before, it's impressively bright. They've only got two per bay and it's decently bright, but I'd want four with half shut off after maybe 11 PM or on motion sensors.

5000 Kelvin is the really white, clean light that looks brighter to the eye.

soapy

Reaction score
Generally you should have 20,000 lumens per SS bay and 30,000 lumens per automatic bay at minimum with a 5000 to 6000K color index of the lights.

Randy

Reaction score
We just got done installing Jarvis led lights to replace the 320 watt metal halide and got popped for “Light Pollution”! We got a registered letter from the city that the lights were to bright and we needed to put shades on the lights that shined off the property or turn them off. We ended up tipping the light at an angle and putting a shade on the light so it won’t shine back off the property. The bays are lit up like an operating room.

water guy

Reaction score
You need to be careful ordering lights from Amazon. I ordered those same lights and they leaked water inside .make sure they have warranties.

Etowah
Reaction score
I ordered 80w wall packs for my 5 bay putting 2 per bay caddy corner from each other. I put 100w high bay surface mounts in my 6 bay also caddy corner. I am very pleased with the brightness and color. One set is 5000K and one is 6000K but I can’t remember which one is which. I ordered wall packs from amazon and high bays from eBay. I don’t remember the brand of the wall packs but Hyperikon sounds familiar and the eBay ones were tosmart led. Both Chinese at any rate. So for so good and at under $100 per fixture I think I did ok. I did buy a spare wall pack just in case. The light bill at the 6 bay went down quite a bit too. Those leds replaced 320w metal halides that were pretty dim and reached out. I don’t have any comparison on the light bill for the 5 bay because it was a refurb and I tore the vapor tight fluorescents out right from the get go. Usually the led drivers are what fails in these fixtures and they can be had cheap all over the net.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Give the guys at www.wallpacksdirect.com a call. They were pretty helpful on helping me decide which lights to use in my bay. I believe they have free shipping for orders over $500.

OurTown

Reaction score
I noticed that looking at only 80 watt 5,000k wall packs that the lumens output is all over the place from 7,000 to 10,400. Is there that big of difference in efficiency or are some companies just fibbing a bit on output?

Rudy

Reaction score
There is a wide variation regarding lumens per watt. The higher ones obviously cost more....but are more efficient.

My utility required them to be DLC certified in order to get a rebate.

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
I retrofitted some 42 wATT cfl fixture to LED by removing the old ballasts and installing a regular light socket. I bought some 60 watt LIthonia LED bulbs from Home depot for $60 about 3 years ago. I have not had a single failure and the bulbs are probably cheaper now. Look for the lumens per watt when checking for efficiency on your bulbs. Cree is a good US mfg. of LEDs. Be careful of the cheap Chinese lights.

water guy

Reaction score
I have used Hyperikon from Amazon and have good luck as well.Its a good quality light.With a good warranty.

bert79

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate the advice from experience. I'll be ordering and installing soon. I will update when I have some results. Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Mike_T

Reaction score
www.superbrightleds.com

As an equipment distributor we sell/install lights of all types from them and we have had zero issues. Plus when you price compare they are tough to beat.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Are you guys using canopy lights in your IBA's? Right now I have 4' fluorescent fixtures with LED bob conversions but the light output is low.

OurTown

Reaction score
Jarvis lights seem impressive in that they are made in the US and have a 10 year warranty if you register them. Considering that their prices are reasonable.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score

Randy

Reaction score

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Randy- About 4 years ago I used the retrofit you posted. Initially tried 2. They had 6 LEDs. Liked them and later did about 8 more and they came thru with the 4 LEDs. Jarvis said that was the new improved model. Light was comparable to new 320W Scottsdales and retrofit was easy. However, if anyone i thinking of an upgrade and is willing to do a little more work for a fixture swap the 600 Series X Beam I just got is a lot brighter and price is comparable. You will need a $20.00 adapter for surface mount since the bottom has a protruding nipple. I think it is even brighter than the 150 W LED fixtures I have gotten from TSS and KR, both of which are vary nice but about $100.00 more.

The retrofit has held up will in the tunnel. Don't know how the X Beam would hold up in the Tunnel or SS Bay.