What's new

Lighting for a Detail Bay

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm closing off one of my bays and will need to put up some new lights. The bay is 24'L x 15'W x 12'H. What would your recommendation be for good lighting to perform details. I want to focus on "worst case" which will be working in there with both doors closed.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

soapy

Reaction score
If you have to buy new lights I would go with some T5 fixtures. I have 2 5 bulb units in the detail bay that I use to buff cars in and they put out a lot of light and are about the cheapest to operate that you can get.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have to buy new lights I would go with some T5 fixtures. I have 2 5 bulb units in the detail bay that I use to buff cars in and they put out a lot of light and are about the cheapest to operate that you can get.
Exactly; also, put the lights as close to the work area as possible. Mine are 10' up and numerous in quantity. The more lights the better for detailing/detail shop.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks guys! It's a fine balance between overkill and not enough ample light. I haven't looked yet, but what do those fixtures run on average?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Jeff_L

Reaction score
This is a 7yr old thread, but instead of starting a new one with the same question, I thought I would resurrect this one. I'm doing the same thing in a bay that is relatively the same size as the original post here. Now that LEDs are strong on the market, what would be the updated advice for lighting (the links to 1000bulbs are no longer working).

If starting fresh, would you buy fixtures from Lowes or Home Depot and then get the bulbs from 1000bulbs that are 5000K for them? Or would it be better to just invest in G&G LED brightest package or Mile High LED brightest package?

Note, I would run the lights about 4-5' up along the side walls to project the light onto the vehicle and inside it as well.