What's new

Lifting a 600# washing machine or similar object onto a pickup tailgate or bed?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Can anyone share their experiences on lifting washers or similar items that weigh in the 600 lbs range up onto a pickup truck without some type of hydraulic lift. My thinking is that 2 husky guys should be able to slide-lift & secure without too much difficulty. Especially if it is just a few washers. Anybody disagree?

The need has come up where we need to transport three 600 pound range washers in a 3/4 ton pickup & we are hoping for input.

We are thinking it could be wise (depending on your input) for us to invest in a HaulMaster 30"x20" platformed 1000 pound capacity hydraulic up to 34.5" height lift that also rolls or locks in place. It seems that finding a rental shop with a small portable lift could also be an option.

Any positive input to share?

mike

Chuck Ivey

Reaction score
Come on Mike, two guys lifting three 600 pound machines?? Look around and rent a truck with a lift gate. I know Penske has them so there must be others. Most rental box trucks have ramps for loading heavy or large items. Save your guys' backs.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I've done it when I was younger (with a helper). Wont do it again.
Now I use a trailer and a hand truck.
Fundamentally I agree with Chuck - its not worth a back to save a couple bucks.

lilb93

Reaction score
Get an open uhaul trailer with ramp. One man with equipment dolly will do the job.

Last edited:

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score

washme1

Reaction score
Check with a local vending machine distributor (not a vending operator) to see if they have a stair climbing dolly. They may rent it to you. It would easily lift the load onto a pickup bed. I used to have one when I was a vending operator. They're cumbersome but work great when you need one.

mmurra

Reaction score
Check with a local moving company. Two guys who know what they are doing can move a lot, fast. I've hired some of this done for much less than I would have invested in doing it and messing it up!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. The CLA laundry forum also has some excellent suggestions. This morning we set up the previously mentioned USA made compact HaulMaster 1000 lbs lift. At total cost to us $221.51 including sales tax we think it was the most logical way for us to carry with when we need to lift & haul just a few items with the 3/4 ton pickup truck from a remote location. Since we have quick access to a Case 1840 Skidsteer, a Genie Lift, & an engine Cherry Picker Crane ... once we are at our location the hoisting is less of an issue than when we travel to pick something up.

The checkout guy really wanted to sell a 1 yr 49.99 or a 2 yr 79.99 extended warranty but I told him that since the components are simple consisting just of a hydraulic ram & a valve controlled by a 2 downward speed lever we were pretty confident without it. The reviews (once the air is bled out of the hydraulic ram on it) & we checked the welds for quality & tested it at about 600 lbs (smooth & quick operation both up & down) so hopefully it will work out ... time will tell. We plan to use carpet tape to permanently put the included rubber mat on though Below is a link to a pic that I snapped this morning from my Samsung Note 3. The sun really casted a shadow so hopefully that does not confuse the pic.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It appears to be made in Camarillo, California???

Isn't that from Harbor Freight? Did you mean.... Purchased in the USA? :)
cwguy,

If you want to put a tracer on it ... I'm all ears! I examined the photo of the one they have over at Northern Tool & it sure looks exactly the same to me:confused: Does final assembly count:confused: ... we did some final assembly after we unboxed it:)

mike