What's new

License Plate Stiffener

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Some years ago we were able to buy at low cost a galvanized plate that went behind the front license plates. The top and bottom edges of these plates were bent to surround the top and bottom 1/2 inch or so edges of the license plates and you would slide the plate in from end. It kept the wraps from bending the plates. They had holes made which mached the license plate holes.

Haven't seen them for years and can't find them. Do they still exist?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
The last time I bought them(Many years ago) was from Berk Supply. I don't know if they even are in business any longer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The last time I bought them(Many years ago) was from Berk Supply. I don't know if they even are in business any longer.
Wow, memories. Got original menu and tunnel signs from him. Years later when I guess he was winding down I ordered a replacement. When it came I recognized it as a TSS sign and he charged me $100.00 more than I could have bought it thru Sonny's . Called him on it and he issued a credit.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Before I bought my Grill brushes and re-adjusted my wraps to prevent front plate damage, I looked into manufacturing a plastic version of that galvanised unit. I was tired of trying to explain to customers, that the fact the the car companies were too cheap to put some sort of license plate frame on their products was not my fault. The worst offenders are Toyota and Nissan. A couple of years ago I was contacted by the engineering department of Mazda USA about a post I made on this Forum about the front plate issue. They were interested in whether I thought that consumers were concerned about front plate damage. A bean counter at Mazda was proposing getting rid of their plate holders. Last time I checked they were still standard equipment, so I guess they believed me when I told them of the many cases of customer meltdowns over a bent corner of a front plate.:D

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Heck, why dop you think I ask? Just got an '08 Sebring. Not only is there no front bracket, but only holes for the top two plate holes in a slight recess in the bumber with a large wood screw type screw. The bottom half of the plate is just hanging in the air without any part of the bumper behind it.