What's new

Lex air valve replacement to 24 volt solenoid

Don B.

Reaction score
I have a Washworld high velocity. Can’t you replace the Lex air valves with 24 V high-pressure solenoid’s? I asked wash world about this and they really discouraged it. They said it would be a lot of trouble, seems to me like it would be pretty simple. Couldn’t you just use the input to the Mac air valve for your solenoids. Am I missing something? One of mine is leaking and I’d really like to do away with the air valves. I’ve replaced them several times over the years. My machine is 21 years old. They’ve gotten so expensive. I think they’re $800 now. Be nice to do away with the Lex air valves and the Mac air valve and the air pressure regulator. Just have to figure out the inputs on them and how they open and close. I know the undercarriage is normally closed all the time until the wash is selected, if the wash selected gets an undercarriage, that is. Just not sure yet how to wire it up. I could probably figure it out, but if anyone knows how it would be helpful. Pretty sure I’ve read on here that it has been done before.

fastlx

Reaction score
I have a HV also and interested in this also. Any input is appreciated.

Don B.

Reaction score
I have a HV also and interested in this also. Any input is appreciated.
Well, I’ve thought about it. I think you will have to use a normally closed solenoid for the undercarriage, and a normally open solenoid for the arch. Use the single 24V input that goes to your Mac air valve, wire that’s labeled 24PY20, and tie it to one wire each on both solenoids. You will wind up with a three wire connection there. The other wire going to the Mac air valve is the neutral ground which will be tied into the other 2 remaining wires on the 24V solenoids. You will also wind up with a three wire connection there. When a wash is selected that gets an undercarriage it will send a signal from Y20 output and send the 24V to both solenoids. The undercarriage solenoid will open and the arch solenoid will close, allowing the water to spray out the undercarriage only. After the undercarriage is over the Y20 signal goes out and closes the undercarriage solenoid and opens the arch solenoid back to normally open, allowing it to spray out of the arch only.
That’s the only way I can see it working. It sounds good, anyway!

washnvac

Reaction score
Yes it can be done. I did it on two laser 4000s. Those lexairs are a pita. No issues with the hp dema solenoids....and no air leaking. Been on about 4 years. Wire it just as you said. Make sure you have a pressure blowout, just in case something fails.

Don B.

Reaction score
Yes it can be done. I did it on two laser 4000s. Those lexairs are a pita. No issues with the hp dema solenoids....and no air leaking. Been on about 4 years. Wire it just as you said. Make sure you have a pressure blowout, just in case something fails.
Thanks! I’m tired of messing with them. I’m not giving $800 for them! Never could understand why they didn’t use electric solenoids to begin with!