What's new

LED SIGNS, Worth the price ?

TJ_DOT

Reaction score
Hello,

We are upgrading our carwash and thinking to put the LED signs for displaying electronic messages (Attached a pic for reference). Shocked to see the price on the quotations between 21,000 USD - 23,000 USD.

Can someone please advise if these LED signs are worth the price. Here is few more information regarding our carwash. We got this carwash just 2 months back, but its been in business since decades and the current traffic count for the carwash is around 25,000 per day.

Appreciate if someone can help us decide if these LED boards are worth the price ?

Thanks,
TJ.

Attachments

mac

Reaction score
Looked into this also a few months ago, and I too was shocked. Yes that is the going rate. By dumb luck I found a sign guy that really knew this stuff. I asked him about used ones and he explained that after about 10 years the sign boards are obsolete. So you're kinda stuck. I see a lot of these on bigger businesses.

TJ_DOT

Reaction score
Are these worth for the current price ? Not sure how much additional customers it can help bring.

OurTown

Reaction score
Be sure to check with your local government to see if they are allowed.

TJ_DOT

Reaction score
Checked with the city, they are allowed. Banks are funding the project. But still, is it a wise spend of money ?

Randy

Reaction score
Checked with the city, they are allowed. Banks are funding the project. But still, is it a wise spend of money ?
To answer your question is it worth the money, NO! it's not. Put that money into some other improvement at the car wash.

TJ_DOT

Reaction score
@Randy - Thanks for the insight Randy, it helps our decision making process.

Eric H

Reaction score
Are these worth for the current price ? Not sure how much additional customers it can help bring.
These signs were NEW and EXCITING when they came out 10-12 years ago. Now I don't even notice them unless they are the super bright obnoxious ones. Then i just try too ignore the super bright lights while I drive by while saying to myself "why is that sign so obnoxious?" while not reading the message

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
My wash is right on a corner of a busy intersection. I was wanting to do some advertising and given the costs to do so on say a billboard ( $800-1500/mo) I decided on spending the money on one.

I installed a 10' Daktronics and I've been happy with it. I will say that designing the media for it is a PITA and ones needs to be on the artistic side.

MC3033

Reaction score
The signs are relatively maintenance free and last a good while.

For 25k cars a day it might be worth it. To get your value out you need to really spend time on the display artwork. Stay away from generics, make sure to brand well and get attention.

If you could get 10 years out of it, have a bit of maintenance and times, let’s say average cost of $3k a year. I’m sure you can get an extra $3k of business per year using the sign. The question is whether you could get a greater ROI somewhere else

OurTown

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the cost of this would be part of your marketing budget. We would love to replace our four line 4' by 8' reader board with one of these. Our city told us a few years ago that they are prohibited but I have seen them crop up in town lately so maybe they changed the rules.