What's new

LED lights

Reds

Reaction score
I currently have Metal Halide wall packs in my self serve and IBA's and the lenses have turned brown. They don't put out nearly as much light as they did before the lenses turned brown. I would like to upgrade my lighting and am considering LED tube lights from G&G. I am concerned that the lenses on the LED lights may turn brown like the plastic lenses on my Metal Halide fixtures. Has anyone had these LED lights long enough (maybe a year?) to determine if the lenses are going to stay clear? I see that there are some LED wall packs that have glass lenses, which should stay clear, but I would think that the tubes would distribute the light more evenly. Thanks in advance for any input.

Randy

Reaction score
I think it would cost you a small fortune to convert your wall paks over to LED tubes lighting. I’d be more inclined to replace the plastic lens on or existing fixtures and then convert them over to 105 watt CFL bulbs. http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/8257/FC105-S50MOGOD.html

These guys might be able to help you with new plastic lens http://www.plasticsforlighting.biz/ I bought new lens for my 8’ H.O double tube fluorescent fixtures from them, they were about $30 a lens.

MEP001

Reaction score
Reds, the lenses on your current fixtures turned brown from the UV output of the metal halide bulbs. LEDs don't produce UV.

If the G&G lights deliver what they promise, they should be a good conversion.

Eric H

Reaction score
Check with your power company for rebates. I had all of my lighting at 2 washes replaced, including labor, for less than it would have cost to install new MH fixtures myself. The 3rd wash I installed the 105w CFL's because the rebates were unavailable from a different poco.

boywonder

Reaction score
I have had LSI leds for over 3 years, and G&G's for over a year and love the bright white light in the bays. My electric company gave me 50% of the total cost in a rebate so it was a no brainer. Tried that plasticsforlighting.biz to replace the lenses on my existing 8' lights and when shipping was included found that it was better just to buy new led's and get rid of fluorescents. Also leds aren't affected by cold temperatures like the fluorescents are.

cmawash

Reaction score
had 12 -250 watt metal halide fixtures, installed 12-Lithonia 30 leds fixture units in place of existing lights. was not looking for the cheapest way out, but the easy way out. fixtures are lighter, were easy to install, cost about $425 a fixture and don't have to worry heat in lights and those expensive ballast and light bulbs. should be much cheaper to maintain in the future and light out is the same as fresh 250 watt mh lights. in our case appearance is what matters as this car wash in in a upscale area and customers demand more.