What's new

LED for backlit signs

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
A couple of my locations have a 4X8 2 sided backlit pole sign at the street. They have 4 ho fluorescent tubes and ballasts in them. These of course require maintenance and are difficult to access. Any ideas for replacing the lighting in these with LED? Maybe a couple small wallpacks, rope lighting, etc.

6t7gto

Reaction score
Went to their site and registration to a distributor failed.
Where did you purchase from? Size and price?

thx
david

buzzin

Reaction score
Went to their site and registration to a distributor failed.
Where did you purchase from? Size and price?

thx
david

we used Joslin sign in Nashville. 4 x 96" with power supplies was about $1k.

Randy

Reaction score
I'm considering something like this. https://www.amazon.com/WYZM-4-Pack-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J8SNK66E9VXS1WCMT7X6 Yes, they are directional, however they swivel and several reviews have said they worked fine in their double sided signs.
Ric, You don’t want to use those bulbs from Amazon. They are a replacement for a florescent bulb and they only have the light strip on one side, on the back side they have an aluminum heat sink. Take a look at these https://www.eledlights.com/led-lamp...lamps-t8-and-t12/led-sign-lighting-lamps.html they are made for replacing the florescent bulbs in signs. I used the type from Amazon in my bays, boy are they ever bright. I used 2 in each fixture, I could have probably gotten away with just one per fixture. I think it’s been about 2 years now that I put them in and haven’t had any problems with them.

L

loewem

Ric, You don’t want to use those bulbs from Amazon. They are a replacement for a florescent bulb and they only have the light strip on one side, on the back side they have an aluminum heat sink. Take a look at these https://www.eledlights.com/led-lamp...lamps-t8-and-t12/led-sign-lighting-lamps.html they are made for replacing the florescent bulbs in signs. I used the type from Amazon in my bays, boy are they ever bright. I used 2 in each fixture, I could have probably gotten away with just one per fixture. I think it’s been about 2 years now that I put them in and haven’t had any problems with them.
Randy, do these bulbs require bypassing the ballast for the cfl fixture?

Randy

Reaction score
Randy, do these bulbs require bypassing the ballast for the cfl fixture?
All you have to do is bypass the ballast and your good to go. When I replaced the florescent bulbs with LED bulbs I had to replace some of the R-17D ends in the fixture as they where so old they were pointing in the wrong direction. I got the R-17D ends from 1000bulbs.com

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Randy,

Those 360 degree sign lights look good. Do you think 2 of those could replace 4 ho fluorescent lamps in a 4'H X 8'W double face sign?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Ric,

Based on experience with 16 foot plus extra bright LED 6000 color index range STRIPs .... I would not rule out 2Biz's suspended dangling looping leds approach. As far as heat sink inside a sign box ... in a pinch ... a thermostatically controlled fan would not be difficult ... but only if needed. We have had a $1200 programmable 15” x 74” message-temperature sign for a few years now & the leds have not shown any heat problems.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Randy

Reaction score
Randy,

Those 360 degree sign lights look good. Do you think 2 of those could replace 4 ho fluorescent lamps in a 4'H X 8'W double face sign?
That might work. I’d call Justin at eled lights 858-229-1015 and ask him. He's pretty knowledgeable about LED lights.

mikempls

Reaction score
I found a company in Pennsylvania that specializes in LED retrofits for signs. They manufacture the bulbs at their factory and send them out. I purchased 10 6' LED bulbs for about $45.00 each and two drivers for about $77.00 each. The bulbs were designed to snap into my existing sockets, but I had to remove my old ballasts, install two new LED drivers and re-wire the sockets to the new drivers. Took about three hours. I did it this summer, so time will tell on the longevity. Overall, I saved a lot compared to other options I found and the sales rep help design as needed. The company is Interlectric Corp. I was dealing with Dan Olson 800-722-2184 x144. I was a little skeptical until I talked to my electrical contractor here in Minneapolis and he said they have used this company for years. Hope this helps.