What's new

leaking vac hoses

wash4me

Reaction score
On my vac hoses they just kind of screw into a metal piece on the vacuum. I can feel significant air leaking there. I know that if the seals are bad on the clean out doors it greatly affects vacuum suction. I assume this is also true if the hose leaks where it connects. Is there a way to fix this someone uses or is it just not really a problem?

MEP001

Reaction score
A small amount of leak probably won't be noticeable, but that's why I started putting a swivel coupler over the tube.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Do an experiment with duct tape tom seal the leak and then see if there is a noticeable difference. Years ago a guy i know who worked forn the National pride chain told me how they would drill some small holes in the cuff at the vac to allow some air thru if the customer pressed the claw tight against the carpet. This allowed some air flow to keep the motor cooler.

getnbusy

Reaction score
they do leak right there. Some more than others. Usually around 1 notch on the gauge. On a vac that pulls 76-78, that's not a big deal. But when a vac only pulls 40, that's 10%.

MEP001

Reaction score
MEP can you please post a pic of the swivel cuff setup
http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?10402-Vac-hose-reducer-that-doesn-t-leak

I originally did this to run 1 1/2" hoses, but they all broke within a month so I replaced them with 2" cuffs. It was partly to keep a good seal, partly to stop the hose from threading itself into the tank (I've pulled 4 feet of hose back out of the tank more than once), partly to have a fixed length stub in the tank so vacuumed liquids wouldn't make such a mess.

soonermajic

Reaction score
http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?10402-Vac-hose-reducer-that-doesn-t-leak

I originally did this to run 1 1/2" hoses, but they all broke within a month so I replaced them with 2" cuffs. It was partly to keep a good seal, partly to stop the hose from threading itself into the tank (I've pulled 4 feet of hose back out of the tank more than once), partly to have a fixed length stub in the tank so vacuumed liquids wouldn't make such a mess.
So screwing the hose into the vac lessons the abuse of liquids? Why?

MEP001

Reaction score
Without a little hose inside the tank, liquids would run down the inside wall and behind the cleanout tub. The short stub inside makes liquids fall into the tub.