What's new

lava arch, foam curtain on IBA

ToFarGone

Reaction score
I know it can be done and have seen it. Just wondering if anyone has installed one of these on there iba and had any kind of a review.
I have the space and would like to try it. Seems like every company out there has equipment for it now. Even the chemical companies are selling them.

Thanks

waterway

Reaction score
Interested also.... watching for responses. Anyone done this on Coleman Water Wizard ?
A local chemical guy that I use is making set ups for pretty much all the in bay automatics. I know he has done a few water wizards out in Colorado I believe. He doesn't seem to have any videos on his website. But I know he is working on one for pdq 4000 and has already down some water wizards.

http://www.mrfoamer.com/Home_Page.html

BBE

Reaction score
A local chemical guy that I use is making set ups for pretty much all the in bay automatics. I know he has done a few water wizards out in Colorado I believe. He doesn't seem to have any videos on his website. But I know he is working on one for pdq 4000 and has already down some water wizards.

http://www.mrfoamer.com/Home_Page.html
I've talked to PDQ about the new overglow lava arch they have. Right now it is only available for the 360's, but supposedly it is eventually going to be retrofitted to all the machines. The problem as of right now with retrofitting one onto a 4000, is that you have to use the triple foam pass as the lava arch pass. So you would have to give up triple foam in favor of hot wax. There isn't another pass on the 4000 that just goes back and forth with the arch positioned sideways and not rotating around the car.

I'd love to know if this is the way this guy did it, or if he has something else up his sleeve. I'm pretty keen on the idea of adding these in my iba's.

ToFarGone

Reaction score
I was looking at Vaughan's Tsunami Arch. It had a pretty low profile that would tuck up in the machine. Pretty simple design too. I know for a fact that I could make one of these...heck I could probably make an automatic if I had a couple thousand hours to spare. In the end I would rather pay the $$$ and go right to using it. I like the LED back lighting too. Put it on (some kind of wax/protectant) and bump the wash price $2.00...that is what I'm thinking.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I have heard that it still drips on car after the lava wax has been applied on the next pass I would like to put it on my Laser 4000 but hesitant I would like to hear other people that have done it would be nice, I have only talked to one guy that did it to his and thats what he said the negative to it is that it still drips for a while alot. It looks nice. I guess we could raise the top two packages $2 more dollars also is what I was thinking but you know the customer is going to raise hell about it.

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
Just to clarify on what BBE. On the LaserWash 4000, we use the productivity pass to apply the OverGlow, typically front to back. You do not lose your 3X Application, however you will need to give up either Y26 or Y27 for the OverGlow. This would be your Drying Agent or PolySealant. After the application and on the return trip forward, we rinse the manifold/deflector to eliminate any wax product from dripping on the vehicle. This pass is also used as a rinse pass (back to front).

BBE

Reaction score
Just to clarify on what BBE. On the LaserWash 4000, we use the productivity pass to apply the OverGlow, typically front to back. You do not lose your 3X Application, however you will need to give up either Y26 or Y27 for the OverGlow. This would be your Drying Agent or PolySealant. After the application and on the return trip forward, we rinse the manifold/deflector to eliminate any wax product from dripping on the vehicle. This pass is also used as a rinse pass (back to front).
Thanks Kris. Do you need to actually have the productivity arch installed on your machine? Or just a high enough version of software to enable the machine to do the productivity pass?

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
It would only require the software to be a high enough version. I believe anything over version 18.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Purpose of hot wax is to reduce hand-waxing of cars to a push button service and provide a marketable “show” effect.

Hot wax was designed for “friction” tunnels and applied as lava/glow foam for $4.00 or $5.00. Most chemical companies now offer similar product. Cost of goods varies from $0.75 to $1.25 per car.

Hot wax contains carnauba or polymer that creates super-hydrophobic surface greater than drying agent or total body protection or product containing Teflon.

Hot wax sells like hot cakes adding $0.80 or more to average sales because friction tunnels clean well and the product works well.

Problem is “touch-less” leaves behind at least a thin layer of grime. Without a “clean” surface, super-hydrophobic product will not bond properly or hold up as well.

A case is made by applying Rain-X online over the dirty eyebrow on a windshield.

Now there is a new “shield” system for “friction” tunnels, soon to be copied like hot wax. This system also uses lava effect.

Shield is four step online paint sealant process - suggested price $18. Up-sell is hot wax for another $4 or $5.

However, even if you could deliver these products with an in-bay, how many of your customers would pay $22 or $23 for carwash with shield system and hot wax?

To stay in the game, in-bay wash process needs redesigned.

mac

Reaction score
Ok let me play devil's advocate for a minute. (Forget the fact that the devil probably doesn't need an advocate. He Hollywood in his back pocket.) You could put this on one of the modern friction washes pretty easily, but the most common complaint I get from my customers is how to speed up the wash. This would add a step or two. Yes the revenue on that wash would go up, but when you have 5 cars stacked, how many would wait?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….most common complaint I get from my customers is how to speed up the wash.”

“….when you have 5 cars stacked, how many would wait?”

This is my point, Mac. In-bay business model has been eclipsed and needs overhauled.

By this, I am referring to value proposition (product, price and merchandising).

For example, prototypical in-bay is 10 or 12 cars an hour and $7.50 average sales.

With technology and marketing, this can be transformed to 15 or 20 cars an hour and $10 average sales or more.

A big part of this is changing the marketing focus from selling “products” to selling value.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Mr Oliver how would you keep the lava aplicators from freezing up in winter we do not run triple foam in winter just through spray arm only how could we as operators overcome this in winter time. thanks

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
There is a water weep that would tie in with your existing weep system.

BBE

Reaction score
Ok let me play devil's advocate for a minute. (Forget the fact that the devil probably doesn't need an advocate. He Hollywood in his back pocket.) You could put this on one of the modern friction washes pretty easily, but the most common complaint I get from my customers is how to speed up the wash. This would add a step or two. Yes the revenue on that wash would go up, but when you have 5 cars stacked, how many would wait?
Good thoughts. I think that depends on how you plan to utilize it. If it is an extra item added ala carte to any wash package, then it would make any of the wash packages longer just as you said. If you build it into your wash package though, you can probably avoid that. My initial thought with it, was not to run it as an ala carte item, but simply replace the super sealant on my top wash package with a lava arch pass instead. This adds absolutely zero time onto my top wash package, however it enhances the perceived value and "wow" factor of my top wash package. And of course, hopefully getting more business towards my top wash package as well :)

mac

Reaction score
On reflection the issue of long wash times can be easily solved by adding another automatic. This basically cuts the time per wash in half. Although as Bob states the self serve model has been eclipsed, there are still a whole lot of them out there that simply do not have the room for a even very short tunnel. For them a second auto makes sense. Wash times are a subjective issue. Like when you are waiting for the barber, or stylist for the elite, you just hate sitting there reading old copies of Women's Home Journal. But when it's your turn in the chair, it's "Hey, slow down, take your time and do a good job."

Turbo

Reaction score
“….most common complaint I get from my customers is how to speed up the wash.”

“….when you have 5 cars stacked, how many would wait?”

This is my point, Mac. In-bay business model has been eclipsed and needs overhauled.

By this, I am referring to value proposition (product, price and merchandising).

For example, prototypical in-bay is 10 or 12 cars an hour and $7.50 average sales.

With technology and marketing, this can be transformed to 15 or 20 cars an hour and $10 average sales or more.

A big part of this is changing the marketing focus from selling “products” to selling value.
Robert: what are your ideas to improve in at automatic in this way?

Thanks

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“What are your ideas to improve in at automatic in this way?”

It depends on the circumstances – competition, market strength, owner personality, available resources, etc. In other words, it takes more than a pre-engineered, one-size fits all, “plug-and-play” equipment solution to achieve or exceed these results.

For example, “the issue of long wash times can be easily solved.”

Yes, it is relatively easy to increase hourly capacity through capital investment. However, it takes a bit more lifting to increase sales from $175K to $400K or so.

“Wash times are a subjective issue”

This holds true for self-serve and driveway washing. Otherwise, not true. For example, while total guest time on site may vary for various conveyor carwash formats, it generally takes 3 to 4 minutes to wash the exterior.

Once an in-bay is calibrated, for example, basic 4-minutes, good 5-minutes and best 6-minutes, the service times do not change. What can change is total volume which is dictated by what customers buy and how long they are willing to wait.

It also helps to know what you are doing.

For example, I recently got to observe conversion from self-serve to express format. Site went from wands plus two in-bays and coin-op vacuums to wands plus one in-bay plus in-bay to conveyor conversion and token-op vacuums, building extension, signage, etc.

First, the conversion took about three times longer than it should have and the wash was closed over the entire peak carwash season.

Second, this is a Grade B site at best due to characteristics like accessibility, ingress/egress, travel speed, visibility, signage, etc.

Third, so far, it mostly appears to be operated unmanned and no marketing initiative (i.e. website, virtual marketing, loyalty program, etc.).

Again, it takes more than just equipment solution to get results.