What's new

Laurel single column price increase to $1.25

OurTown

Reaction score
Is there a mod or hack that can be done to increase the price to $1.25? The max on our Armor All sponge pack machine is $1.00 and looks like it is expensive to buy all the parts to have a max price of $3.00. I just want to add a quarter and do not need the whole $3.00 max.

OurTown

Reaction score
I was going to but thought I would ask here first. I'm pretty sure he's going to say that I can't do it.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can't modify a mechanical vendor with a $1 max price to take $1.25. They used to have a kit to convert it to electronic, but I don't think it's offered anymore.

chip@laurel

Manufacturer
Reaction score
The Model 2100 machine has $1.00 max price, the Model 300 has $3.00 max price. Probably the most common question lately is can I put the $3 coin mech in the Model 2100 because of the desire to have $1.25 price. To do that you have to change the coin mechanism, the door and the magazine assembly, leaving only the cabinet shell. You can save a few bucks (~$50 - $60) if you buy these parts as compared to buying new Model 300 but you have to do the parts change out. You could try this for a temporary, cheap conversion - put $1.25 price decal on door and insert 5 quarters and pull the handle. The 5th quarter is resting on top of the 4th and it just drops down into the coin box. Yes we all know people don't read signs but it might be worth it as an experiment.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
You could try this for a temporary, cheap conversion - put $1.25 price decal on door and insert 5 quarters and pull the handle. The 5th quarter is resting on top of the 4th and it just drops down into the coin box. Yes we all know people don't read signs but it might be worth it as an experiment.
It would work for a while until people figure it out. I've watched customers pull the vend knob after each quarter hoping to get it for less than the full price.

I thought the cabinets were different between the 2100 and the 300, good to know that you can just change out all the internals. FWIW I'd replace the vendor with an electronic model.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Waxman,

From our experience the Laurel Electronic Vendors are more trouble free than the mechanical. So there would some gain in reliability. Ours have IDX mechs inside ... I am assuming that Chip continues to have good results with the specific IDXs that Laurel utilizes without a need to use a different electronic coin mech???

OurTown

Reaction score
I have a spiral vendor that is going in when we do our big remodel but was just wondering if we could do anything in the meantime.

Randy

Reaction score
I have a spiral vendor that is going in when we do our big remodel but was just wondering if we could do anything in the meantime.
What kind of spiral vendor are you planning on putting in?

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman,

From our experience the Laurel Electronic Vendors are more trouble free than the mechanical. So there would some gain in reliability. Ours have IDX mechs inside ... I am assuming that Chip continues to have good results with the specific IDXs that Laurel utilizes without a need to use a different electronic coin mech???
Why would you assume that? Surely you've read some of the complaints here of the problems people have had with IDX acceptors.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
MEP001 & others,

I have read those complaints .... I was somewhat hoping that the specific IDX that Chip may be still be using is OK. Maybe wishful thinking on my part. Maybe our friend Chip can clarify ... maybe Laurel did go to another brand. Inside of a vendor or outdoor vacuum away from the car wash overspray has shown the IDX to be OK for that more limited use in our limited case. One caveat .... I may have avoided a downgrade of IDX's quality ... I do know I needed to take them out of our bays & replaced them with Microcoin QLs ... no regrets there.

We took both the IDXs & Parkers off of our potentially 35 coin mechs for our washing machine upgrade ... & have plans for an "indoor duty" only arcade 6 distinct coin style coin mech. Time will tell how good that decision was. That decision partially was done based on cost & back room testing & 6 months on the bulkhead testing of one washer. It was also done partially because of the smaller footprint of the 6 distinct coin Arcade style. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11636

chip@laurel

Manufacturer
Reaction score
We offer choice of Parker Slugbuster, IDX MA850, Microcoin QL and the Comestero RM5 for European customers. The MA850 is the updated version of the MA800 and it has been very reliable but the switch was Feb 2018 so not long enough in our book to say for sure it is solid choice. We started using the MA800 almost 20 years ago and had great reliability but the thing to factor in is our vending machines typically don't get wet quarters like the bays so I have to think that helps. Yes we did encounter a bad period about 2-3 years ago where they tested out here fine and then would start rejecting soon after machines were installed. We sent out a bunch of replacements then but that has passed thankfully.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Reliable dollar coin acceptance is high on our list of priorities for every piece of payment acceptance equipment we have. Hopefully, the desire for the general public to keep the dollar coins "taking them home with them" forcing us to get more coins from the bank instead of "a more even" recycling of the coins will improve sometime in the future. By having at least 6 distinct coins acceptance coin mechs we can accommodate a possible future need for the US Treasury to change the metal content ... similar to what Canada proved to be helpful. Hopefully, we are not so foolish to think that overall proven long term savings that are at stake are not relevant.

MEP001

Reaction score
Reliable dollar coin acceptance is high on our list of priorities for every piece of payment acceptance equipment we have. Hopefully, the desire for the general public to keep the dollar coins "taking them home with them" forcing us to get more coins from the bank instead of "a more even" recycling of the coins will improve sometime in the future. By having at least 6 distinct coins acceptance coin mechs we can accommodate a possible future need for the US Treasury to change the metal content ... similar to what Canada proved to be helpful. Hopefully, we are not so foolish to think that overall proven long term savings that are at stake are not relevant.
Are dollar coins vegan-friendly? Because they also take every opportunity to tell everyone they can that they're vegan.