What's new

Launching Express Detail

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The time has come to launch express detail. I'm giving out flyers at the carwash and in full service detail customers' cars. I'm having banners made for the streetside of the carwash as well as a menu board for by the street.

My price point is $39 and that includes a carwash, tire shine and scent, as well as a waxy floormat and my custom printed litterbag.

Customers can choose between express polish, carpet express, seats express, or mini detail (wash, vac windows and vinyl wipe down).

I plan to do an express 'bash' where I promote and further discount the express services on one special weekend to 'prime the pump'.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas to implement this new service?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm not sure what "waxy floormat" is, but I have had a detailer clean up my truck a time or two over the years. He would put some crap on my mats that would make them so slippery that my heel wouldn't stay put when I pressed the gas pedal. Why on earth would someone do that and why would anyone want that? If you do the same thing I think you should ask the customer first, because I guarantee no one wants it.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Careful of Slippery-Slope Perceptions

Common positive perceptions of the word "express" can mean quick handling or swift completion... or even rapid completion. The prevalent theme relates to time.

However, over-emphasizing quick or speedy task completion can also backfire, leaving the consumer wondering if "express" might also suggest slipshod or compromised... or haphazard. :eek:

Couple that risk with offering a bundle of services that show significant price-slashing from your normal retail pricing... and you may wind up devaluing your individual items beyond believability. That slippery slope will attack value credibility and risk compromise to overall price integrity. :p

It harks back to the adage of "If it seems way too good to be true, it probably isn't true". If you lose customer trust, it can be very costly.
When is giving away too much... too much? :rolleyes:

If your use of express is meant to emphasize time-savings, then say so... and avoid piling on stuff that actually dilutes product integrity. :eek:

Just a few well-intentioned thoughts...

-Steve

Happy Holidays, Everybody!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, should I call them aftercare services instead?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You have to name it something simple and instantly understandable. i.e. Crescent wrench vs an adjustable wrench. Somethings need to be adjusted to go with what people understand vs what is technically correct.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Not Just a Term; Add an Explanation

EXPRESS AFTER-CARE is effective because it's an umbrella term that refers to an area where express activities occur. I used the positive term EXPRESS AFTER-CARE as a component; a specified area where all hands-on tasks are provided. I prefer EXPRESS AFTER-CARE rather than "express detailing" because that term can be misunderstood as to suggest quick, slipshod detailing or haphazard and careless.

So, on your menu, you can say:

The EXPRESS AFTER-CARE area is where all hands-on detailing services are provided. Highly trained teams of two (2) skilled detailers promptly attend to your vehicle, so there's no needless delay.

We recommend a printed take-along menu that enables you to tell a short story about your certified staff (ICA has an online course) detailers, the advanced technology you provide, and the assurance that meticulous care is never compromised by your rapid delivery process. You should also consider offering "Guaranteed Satisfaction". ;)

Hope this helps...

-Steve