What's new

Laserwash dryer question

getnbusy

Reaction score
I have a LW 4000 that came from factory with a docking dryer. It is currently setup as a drive thru dryer for a speedier drying cycle than a docking dryer. I want to know how to install eyes to shut off the dryer when a customer drives thru without using all the allotted time ??? I am told it can't be done, but I am having trouble accepting that. Has anyone else done this ?? Your response is appreciated. Thank you

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Paraphrase - I am having trouble accepting the notion that photo eyes can’t be installed to shut off docking dryer (standing position) so allotted time can be saved.

The reason is you are trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

Purpose of docking design is weight reduction, quality and process time.

Wash and dry, docking occurs and uniform drying based on vehicle length. Whereas with wet wash, no docking occurs and dryer never comes on.

Why screw around with the engineering?

For example, dryers consume most energy on start-up. So, saving seconds at end of drying cycle would not make a material difference.

lag

Reaction score
Do you have exit doors with photo eyes? Standard pdq dryers use them to shut down dryers( input x45).

Been a while since I played with a docking dryer..16 years.. I'm guessing when you switch to drive through mode exit door photo eyes should do what your looking to do.

We also have a loop detector(x46) that keeps dryer on just in case a car backs up after breaking the eyes.

Dryers do use most energy when starting up, but in your set up I could see where the next car could be loading as the dryer is still running.

Pdq can help you if needed

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I totally get that the free-standing dryer will speed up the process and squeeze in a few more cars on busy days. The motors should be controlled by a contactor. I can't imagine any tech couldn't set up a set of eyes and a relay or two to break the power to the contactor coil. It may not be as simple as I said, but someone can do it if they want to.

whitescout

Banned
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you would need to change the hardware configuration to remove the docking dryer option from the configuration, so the lasermind does not try to connect to the dryers, and to stop the carriage from moving when the dryer turns on. Then, you would need to have photo eyes mounted after the dryers, or on the outside of the bay, if you don't already have exit door eyes. Then, you would need to change the programming to short bay.( even if you have 26 foot rails ) As lag stated, the input from the exit door eyes once broken, and then reestablished, will shut off the dryers.

getnbusy

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded.

I do not have doors on the wash, but I do have the cards in the JO cabinet to handle doors. I also have and extra set of undercarriage eyes that i was hoping to use to turn off the dryer. i dont fully understand why it "cant" be done. I am told it has to do with the computer looking for a full signal, not a pulse ?? and it would need to be dc current ??" This might not be exactly accurate, but I believe this is what i was told. There was also mention that the "card" in the dryer control panel would need to be changed. I dont know. This will probably require a phone conversation with the right person.

The JO programming does allow for the dryer to be put into a park position. However, when in manual mode, the bridge moves slowly like it is trying to dock. And so far, i dont know for sure how to turn it off with eyes.

Lag, Im going to play around with X45 a bit and try to understand that angle. If you or anyone else has more to offer please chime in.

Thanks again
Bob Stanley
cell 252-432-6560 just in case anyone wants to talk about it.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I have done this... As whitescout said, you have to change the hardware configuration to be an off board dryer. The problem is that the controller will then turn on the output for dry instead of dropping the signal out to start the dryer. So i ripped out the dryers controller and installed a couple of relays to drive the contactors and oscillator (one is a delay relay). Wired in the dryer cancel eye and finally works! It should be noted, however, that this is a frankenstein fix, and you will loose the additional features that the dryer controller provided...You also couldnt easily switch back to docking again...

getnbusy

Reaction score
A great big THANK YOU to everyone !!

Awesome awesome responses and info. Keep 'em comin. Now that I know it CAN be done I'm wrapping my head around it. Talking to local techs and people and techs on here too. Going to get it hooked up soon. If anybody else has more to offer, please chime in! So far the door controller is in the lead. I'm hearing it done a couple different ways. Anybody else ?

Thank you
Bob

Reaction score
if memory serves me, the docking dryer as well as the stand alone both relied on the door eyes to let the wash know when a drive off condition occurred. at the last pass of the wash, the mid limit flag does the handshake to start the dryer process by way of the dryer plc, if the docking dryer is set to driv thru it would start up, the drive forward sign comes on and it runs for the pre determined drive thru time setting, the wash would look for the car to leave the treadle or vt eyes then clear the t bar eyes at which point depending on the short bay or long bay setting it would attempt to do a start up check, or wait till the door eyes clear to do so, either way when the exit door eyes are blocked then un blocked if the dryer timer hadnt been used up but it saw unblocked exit door eyes it would prematurely stop the dryer in a drive off assumption. now you don't have doors but if you added eyes and wired them into the door input x-45 and then set your option number for the machine having doors. I think it would work without any changes needed.

"Typical drying process
When the Laserwash® 4000 completes its last cycle around the car a signal is sent to the LaserdriTM by
the LasermindTM controller to start the drying operation. The drying time is programmed at the
LasermindTM keypad. The timer is started when the car leaves the car wash treadle to ensure the car
wash user receives the full programmed dry time.
When the LaserdriTM receives the operation signal the drivers side fan motor starts and subsequently the
passenger side fan starts along with the oscillation motor causing all three nozzles to direct air across the
car.
As the car moves through the dryer a photo eye centrally placed in the machine detects the roof and
after a one second time delay causes the damper to close restricting the air directed at the roof area.
When this eye detects the end of the roof there is a one second delay after which the damper will
reopen. The center nozzle articulation also works off this signal causing air be directed toward the rear
of the exiting vehicle.
This situation is maintained until either the dryer operation timer expires or the exit door eyes determine
that the car has left the wash bay. Then, the dryer fans and the oscillation motor will turn off. This
completes the dryer cycle." they also used to offer a "dryer shut off kit" it was a set of door eyes wired back to input x45