What's new

laser stuck in bay

cherokee235

Reaction score
We've been chasing this for a while. A car washes, finishes, exits, and the Lasermind thinks the car is still there. It then pages code 12, car stuck in bay and resets and makes itself ready for the next customer. It does this about 3~6 times per day. I've never been able to see it happen while I'm there trying to find it. It's annoying and if it happens to do it when a customer is cued up behind a car in the bay they get confused because it won't reset itself for their wash until it times out.

Could it be something up with the front eyes? I'm not sure what the startup check logic is after a car leaves the bay. What parts should I throw at it first?

Thanks,
David

lag

Reaction score
After the sheer pin check the photo eyes ,by turning on output y40 ,and slowly turning down the amp ,up in the J3 . The red and amber lights should stay on until you reach 2 or lower.

Also make sure the photo eyes are clean on your t bar

other causes would be that the input for the stop,or back up is staying on/off to long(depending on weather you have VT or treadle)

lag

Reaction score
Sorry for the multiple posts!! you may be able to watch the controller status by hitting 100 Enter 1 enter. you may see wait wheel well or wait eyes clear staying on before the fault happens.

I know you stated you never catch it but thought I would throw that out to ya.. Good luck

cherokee235

Reaction score
Change the sheer pin first.
Why? If the sheer pin (fault 10) engages, there is no reset. It has to be reset by the owner.

Both the backup switch and wheel well switch were changed out last week. I don't have VT. The change did not solve the problem.

I will check out the amplifier and post back.

David

lag

Reaction score
Why? If the sheer pin (fault 10) engages, there is no reset. It has to be reset by the owner.

Both the backup switch and wheel well switch were changed out last week. I don't have VT. The change did not solve the problem.

I will check out the amplifier and post back.

David

worn sheer pins can cause alot of issues.. Car stuck in bay ,overlenth fronts just to name a few.

Sheer pins will begin to wear out after some time..just move the arm back and forth ,and see is the arm can block the front eyes.

We usually just replace them every couple months

DavidM

Reaction score
Do you have a VT and docking dryer? This sounds like the same issues we have been fighting for several years now. Apparently it is a common problem with the docking dryer/VT/newer software combination.
It seems to be related to a car leaving just before the light actually turns green. The machine then takes a long time to clear. Often, the next car will enter before getting a green light because of the long wait. The laser assumes this is the same car that has not left yet and pages a 12.
PDQ is aware of the problem and we have tried several beta versions of software over the last 2-3 years but no solutions yet.

Hopefully I am wrong and your issue actually has a solution.

David

cherokee235

Reaction score
worn sheer pins can cause alot of issues.. Car stuck in bay ,overlenth fronts just to name a few.

Sheer pins will begin to wear out after some time..just move the arm back and forth ,and see is the arm can block the front eyes.

We usually just replace them every couple months
That's right. It can creep forward and block the front eye. I forgot about that. I'll check it too.

David

cherokee235

Reaction score
I think we finally nabbed the problem. After your suggestions we still got the intermittent "car stuck in bay". I found a lot of slop in the joint where the side arch attaches to the the overhead arch. I tightened the nut against the rubber grommet and the problem has stopped for the past two days. However, there appears to be excessive wear in the stud that the side arch mounts to. I had one of those crack and break off before, so I will be watching this closely.

Next time I replace the seals, I'll inspect it thoroughly.

Thanks, for the help.:D

David

cherokee235

Reaction score
Maybe I spoke too soon. It did it once today, first time in 3 days. I'll assume it was someone sitting in the bay on a cell phone after the wash was complete. It had been doing it about 4 times per day before the arch adjustment.

Etowah